Opinions on Shuttle systems for itx build?

jolala

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Years back I build a Shuttle computer with a P4 2.8 ghz and 2 gigs of ram, with a 128mb GPU lol. It was top of the line at the time!

Anyways, just wondering what peoples opinions were on them nowadays. I'm torn between using a Shuttle barebones and just building my own ITX system.

If I was going to use a Shuttle, this is what I would start with :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101129

I would add the HIS 7950 which exhausts heat, so it would actually help keep the system cooler, along with an i5 CPU.

The Shuttle PSU (at least according to Shuttle's forums) is made by Seasonic, so its a sturdy PSU.

I would also add the WiFi attachment since I am always on wireless.

If I were to build my own, I'm not really sure what I would use for a case to match that same foot print. And then I have the issue of also fitting a cooler inside. Any suggestions?

JLawL

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

I agree with this. But since you mentioned the 7950, go with the 450 watt version.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=276&area=en

Also, Newegg has a deal right now on an ASRock z77 motherboard that has built in WiFi with a free 8GB stick of Corsair Vengeance for $150.00. That's basically what the board costs by itself. Good deal :)

I missed the mention of the 7950 , and I agree the 300 watt Silverstone would not be adequate . The 450 watt is marginal too , but there is a 600 watt version

The other option for powerful graphics cards is the Bitfenix Prodigy .
Bigger than most mini-ITX cases it can fit an ATX power supply and a decent range of cpu coolers .
Still very easy to move around thanks to the handles

JLawL

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
^ The BitFenix Prodigy is what I own. For an extra 20 bucks you can get a side window for it also.

Best itx case by far if size is not a limiting factor. It is about 2 inches wider and 7 inches taller than the Shuttle. That being said, you definitely wouldn't regret buying one :)