Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC Suite not 'seeing' phone (6310i) - help please.

Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:10:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Up untl recently I had a 6210, which I was satisfied with. Sadly it
dies, and I've replaced it with a 6310i, which is the same but better,
if you get me. The phone is fine, very good in fact, but....

I was going to install the PC Suite software that came with the phone
(PC Suite 4.81) when I discovered that it doesn't work with XP SP2.

Ok, thinks I, I'll put it on my Linux box, which also dual-boots Windows
98. It works! Excellent.
Then I saw that there was an updated version (4.88) on the Nokia web
site, and this is the version Nokia recommend for the 6310i. So, I
thought "I'll have that!".
Bad move. 4.88 wouldn't see the phone on the serial cable.
I reinstalled 4.81 and now that won't see the phone either!

Apparently, according to comments on Newsgroups, Nokia software is
pretty poor, and third-party things are better. The point is, though,
that all I REALLY want to do is backup the phone data, so some
all-singing package that I have to pay for is not the right answer when
Nokia should be providing a tool for the job.

Any advice on how I can get 4.81 or 4.88 working gratefully received.

Thanks, John

More about : suite phone 6310i

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 11:08:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Strange. I am using version 6.5.10 of the Nokia suite (WXP Pro Sp1)




"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:p xmle.1277$a5.101@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
> Up untl recently I had a 6210, which I was satisfied with. Sadly it
> dies, and I've replaced it with a 6310i, which is the same but better,
> if you get me. The phone is fine, very good in fact, but....
>
> I was going to install the PC Suite software that came with the phone
> (PC Suite 4.81) when I discovered that it doesn't work with XP SP2.
>
> Ok, thinks I, I'll put it on my Linux box, which also dual-boots Windows
> 98. It works! Excellent.
> Then I saw that there was an updated version (4.88) on the Nokia web
> site, and this is the version Nokia recommend for the 6310i. So, I
> thought "I'll have that!".
> Bad move. 4.88 wouldn't see the phone on the serial cable.
> I reinstalled 4.81 and now that won't see the phone either!
>
> Apparently, according to comments on Newsgroups, Nokia software is
> pretty poor, and third-party things are better. The point is, though,
> that all I REALLY want to do is backup the phone data, so some
> all-singing package that I have to pay for is not the right answer when
> Nokia should be providing a tool for the job.
>
> Any advice on how I can get 4.81 or 4.88 working gratefully received.
>
> Thanks, John
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:19:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Kevin I Chapple wrote:
> Strange. I am using version 6.5.10 of the Nokia suite (WXP Pro Sp1)

Ok. What phone is this with? The problem with XP is apparently specific
to SP2. It may not apply to 6.5 anyway.

If you are using a 6310i does the 6.5 software work with it ok?

John


> "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:p xmle.1277$a5.101@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>
>>Up untl recently I had a 6210, which I was satisfied with. Sadly it
>>dies, and I've replaced it with a 6310i, which is the same but better,
>>if you get me. The phone is fine, very good in fact, but....
>>
>>I was going to install the PC Suite software that came with the phone
>>(PC Suite 4.81) when I discovered that it doesn't work with XP SP2.
>>
>>Ok, thinks I, I'll put it on my Linux box, which also dual-boots Windows
>>98. It works! Excellent.
>>Then I saw that there was an updated version (4.88) on the Nokia web
>>site, and this is the version Nokia recommend for the 6310i. So, I
>>thought "I'll have that!".
>>Bad move. 4.88 wouldn't see the phone on the serial cable.
>>I reinstalled 4.81 and now that won't see the phone either!
>>
>>Apparently, according to comments on Newsgroups, Nokia software is
>>pretty poor, and third-party things are better. The point is, though,
>>that all I REALLY want to do is backup the phone data, so some
>>all-singing package that I have to pay for is not the right answer when
>>Nokia should be providing a tool for the job.
>>
>>Any advice on how I can get 4.81 or 4.88 working gratefully received.
>>
>>Thanks, John
>
>
>
!