Sign in with
Your question

Is it cheaper to build your own vs prebuilt?

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2013 8:49:39 PM

Hello All,

I was thinking about building myself a new computer with ~$1000 budget. I was always told that building it yourself is cheaper. Is this always true? I was picking out parts for my computer when I came across an add from cyberpower pc. 10% off for presidents day sale and I also found an additional 5% off code. My Final build from cyberpower is:

CAS: Raidmax Cobra Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window & USB 3.0
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull) )
HDD: 128GB SanDisk SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 490 MB/s Read & 350 MB/s Write
KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX)
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, XFast Technologies, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI
MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked)

total including shipping is $1096.25 and comes with a 3 year warranty.

Should I still try to build one myself? I am a beginner when it comes to building or just buy it prebuilt? Thank you all very much for your input.

More about : cheaper build prebuilt

February 17, 2013 10:53:18 PM

building your own is a great learning experience but you sorta gotta have that itch if you know what I mean...if you are the sort who wants to know how things work and are constantly poking onto the dark corners of whatever O/S you use, then yeah, take your time, read the freaking manuals and be careful. You can build a heck of a better machine for that amount of money.

Then again, if you just want a new PC then you should just buy a pre-built.
m
l
February 18, 2013 9:34:00 PM

For $1100 you can build a ~slightly better computer (more reliable parts, slightly higher end parts), but thats a pretty decent PC for $1100. Keep in mind, when I say slightly I mean it. Those are pretty good parts. You could only do a little better from building your own. Thing is, if you aren't sure of yourself and possibly screw something up (electrostatic discharge on #insert random component here, etc...) you could end up spending more by having to re-purchase something. Most manufacturers will just give you another one within the 30 day time frame, however some will not. So to answer your question... Yes you can get a better computer for $1100 if you build it, but with that price of those parts, you are doing pretty well, especially considering the lifetime tech support if they really do help you down the line.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 9:36:20 PM

MUCH cheaper and MUCH more quality (if you do it right). I can get a $2,200 home built for over $4000 as pre built. (this is just a general idea, may vary greatly)
m
l
February 18, 2013 9:43:10 PM

coolitic said:
MUCH cheaper and MUCH more quality (if you do it right). I can get a $2,200 home built for over $4000 as pre built. (this is just a general idea, may vary greatly)

Remember we are talking about an ~$1100 budget. And with the parts listed for ~$1100 that the OP showed us, thats a pretty solid build for that price. You really could only do slightly better with $1100 to work with than what he already showed us.
m
l
!