Triple Monitor Setup

octocore

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I would like to have 3 monitors on my server. I understand I can buy cards that support more than 2 monitors or I can get 2 SLI ready cards and use SLI.

However my issue is my server mobo only accepts PCIe X1 cards so I'm limited to a few vid. cards, none of which has SLI. So my question is: can I plug in 2 of the same cards without SLI to get 3 monitor output?

This is the card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161398

Thanks,
:D

flank2

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
could he not cut/file down the pcie x1 slot to allow a pcie x16 card to be installed, thus saving him ~$80 on the video card?

also couldn't he use 3 monitors with a single video card op mentioned?

no he cannot just simply cut a pci-e 1x slot and make it 16x....these slots are wired to work as specified and cannot be just modified by breaking of cutting.

why on earth or else will people bother buying mainboards with more pci-e slots wired for 16x or 8x???

flank2

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

I understand that it wouldn't run at full bandwidth that a x16 card might run at

I have successfully put a pcie x16 video card in a x8 slot
I've heard people putting pcie x8 raid cards in a x1 slot

how is this any different?

edit
people pay for more x16 mobo slots for the added bandwidth

octocore

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
This card was $60 after rebate a day ago and now it's $90....WTF?

So if I buy 2 of these and install them, the system will recognize both and allow me to extend to 3 or 4 desktops? Does the Radeon allow this?

the card you choose is a radeon itself and it supports eyefinity (multi monitor support)
it is the hd 6450 that has the capability to run up to 3 monitors, but for that you will need to use the display port and use some sort of a daisy chain configuration to set up the monitors.

flank2

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

OP said he just wants 3 monitors on his server, I doubt the OP is going to be running video benchmarks or trying to get MOAR frags from his server.