Sign in with
Your question

Building system.. PLEASE critique!

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2013 9:45:51 PM

Hello,

Can you tell me if this is will b a good system I am building? This is only my second time building a system and I just want to include everything in it. lol Not a pc gamer, just want a good pc. I am building this from scratch so it's taking a bit as money's funny. lol Ok, here it is and don't hesitate to let me know what you think. thanks!

casing: Phantom Enthusiast Full tower (it's HUGE!)

mobo: MSI970A-G46

processor: AMD FX 4130 (4-core) 3.8GHz, 8.0MB total cache

video card: PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 650

harddrive: Segate Barracuda 2TB Sata 64MB 7200RPM

Power supply: Raidmax RX-850AE 850W 80 Plus Gold ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC

This is what I have installed so far. This next stuff is what I will be adding. If any one know of something better than what I am looking at adding; don't hesitate to let me know. Thx!

Avermedia AVer3D CaptureHD 3DTV HDTV Tuner Card H727 3D

^^not completely sold on this card^^. Maybe someone has a better idea? Not sure if it is needed when everthing I have is 3D compatible already. Will be buying a 27" 3d comp. monitor as well; looking at ViewSonic or Samsung.

Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner Card for Watching Digital Cable TV on the PC

^^Do I need this instead?? ^^

Viewcast Osprey 530 Video Capture Card - DIGITAL

or how about this? which one is better? Want Pc to broadcast same digital cable signal as my tv. Is it possible?

PCI-E PCI Express to 2 Port USB 3.0 Adapter Card + 20Pin Slot Super Speed 5Gbps

^^Need this^^ (have nowhere to plug in my usb 3.0 plug built into the casing.

Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB 1866 (gonna max out the mem (though no overclocking), so will be true 1866 32gB)

gonna add a wireless n card. want to put it in pci 16 slot.. is usb plug in better?

Ok, so I a girl and I am long winded. Please help and let me know what you think of what I have already and also your opinion of what I am adding. I can do criticism.. want to learn what's best for my system.

February 17, 2013 10:06:59 PM

Where need info like what is your budget, where are you from, whats in main usage for, please refer to the top posts in forums on how to ask for help.
Related resources
February 17, 2013 10:07:54 PM

Edited: Double post
February 18, 2013 3:52:27 AM

MauveCloud said:
Raidmax is a bad brand for power supplies. Get a Tier 1 or 2 brand from this post:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Are you building a video editing rig? If so, you might want a more powerful cpu and a blu-ray writer.

Thanks for responding.

Actually I forgot to mention that I also have a LG WH14NS40 installed that blu-ray writes, 3D playback, dvd r/w and
just about everything else. Not expecting to edit anything nor game.. only into xbox not pc games. Just building for fun
but want a quality pc.

I already have the Raidmax and it's installed so I will have to wait till the psu burns out before selecting a tier 1 psu.
February 18, 2013 3:56:31 AM

Honestly swap the PSU ASAP. Its a crap PSU and when it fails it will take the rest of your computer down with it.

The 850w Raidmax PSU probably makes tops 500w.
February 18, 2013 4:10:12 AM

Emelth said:
Where need info like what is your budget, where are you from, whats in main usage for, please refer to the top posts in forums on how to ask for help.

Emelth,

I don't really have a budget set aside just for this. Just buying a little at a time. From Mass. Main usage of pc is for surfing the web. lol Just building for fun. Will make sure to check out the ask for help section next time.
February 18, 2013 4:14:35 AM

sorry (double post)
February 18, 2013 4:23:10 AM

tiny voices said:
Honestly swap the PSU ASAP. Its a crap PSU and when it fails it will take the rest of your computer down with it.

The 850w Raidmax PSU probably makes tops 500w.

Thanks tiny,

Actually I have a computer my sister gave me that needs a new psu so I may just put the Raidmax in there and get another one from the tier 1 list. It's a Win Media Ctr pc running Vista so that Raidmax may work good in it.
February 18, 2013 12:16:49 PM

jberniej said:
Actually I forgot to mention that I also have a LG WH14NS40 installed that blu-ray writes, 3D playback, dvd r/w and
just about everything else. Not expecting to edit anything nor game.. only into xbox not pc games. Just building for fun
but want a quality pc.

If you're not planning to record or edit video with your computer, you might be better off using a monitor with an extra hdmi input or two instead of using a capture card, especially for Xbox games, where a capture card is likely to introduce significant input lag. Many Xbox and Xbox 360 games are also available for PC, where you'd be able to set quality options higher and they might be able to take full advantage of 120hz 3D.

Also, 8 GB of RAM is generally considered plenty for a gaming rig, more is only recommended for things like workstations, video editing rigs, and servers. Are you sure you want 32 GB?
!