Sign in with
Your question

Network security key doesn't match

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 2, 2012 10:42:51 PM

My toshiba tecra m2-s730, running windows xp, won't connect wirelessly to the internet. It finds my wireless network, but when i type in the network security key, it says it doesn't match the one on my router. All my other computers connect fine, and this one will connect when using an ethernet cable. Help?
a b 8 Security
February 3, 2012 12:28:48 AM

Are you sure that the toshiba has the correct security type set to match the router? Are you using MAC address security and the toshiba is not entered?
m
l
February 3, 2012 1:05:51 AM

It is set to WPA2-PSK. Is that what you mean. I'm sorry, but I don't know what MAC address security is. Could you explain? Thanks for your help!
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2012 1:18:55 AM

RealBeast said:
Are you sure that the toshiba has the correct security type set to match the router? Are you using MAC address security and the toshiba is not entered?

It is set to WPA2-PSK. Is that what you mean. I'm sorry, but I don't know what MAC address security is. Could you explain? Thanks for your help!
m
l
a b 8 Security
February 3, 2012 11:32:25 AM

jrcsparks said:

As long as the router is using WPA2-PSk then that is fine. If you don't know what MAC addressing is, it is unlikely that you are using it. MAC addressing is another level of security where the router is set to only allow connections from devices with specific MAC addresses, which are unique to each device.
m
l
February 3, 2012 11:38:32 AM

RealBeast said:
As long as the router is using WPA2-PSk then that is fine. If you don't know what MAC addressing is, it is unlikely that you are using it. MAC addressing is another level of security where the router is set to only allow connections from devices with specific MAC addresses, which are unique to each device.

Any other suggestions? I've tried to fix this on my own, but it's beyond my capabilities. Thanks!
m
l
a b 8 Security
February 3, 2012 12:43:41 PM

Are you sure that the computer is configured to preferentially use the gateway address of your router?

If it tries and fails, XP can give itself an address that is not compatible with the network, so I would check that. HERE is a short description on adding a preferred network in XP.
m
l
!