Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns on, but immediately shuts off

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2013 10:04:55 PM

Hello, I recently built my first PC about a month ago. It was working great, until very recently, I've been unable to turn it on. Well actually, it will turn on for a few seconds, the fans will start spinning, the mobo's lights will turn on, but it will shut off in 5-10 seconds. I've cleaned out the interior, checked my heatsink fan, plugged my power cord in multiple times, but nothing changes.

Specs are:
intel i7 3930k
Evga GTX 680
P9X79 pro mobo
12 gb RAM
Corsair hx1000w psu
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2013 10:21:08 PM

Fralinboy said:
Hello, I recently built my first PC about a month ago. It was working great, until very recently, I've been unable to turn it on. Well actually, it will turn on for a few seconds, the fans will start spinning, the mobo's lights will turn on, but it will shut off in 5-10 seconds. I've cleaned out the interior, checked my heatsink fan, plugged my power cord in multiple times, but nothing changes.

Specs are:
intel i7 3930k
Evga GTX 680
P9X79 pro mobo
12 gb RAM
Corsair hx1000w psu

most new mb will shut down if there a dead short or if the power supply output is bad.I would try another ps first to see if it the system will post and stay on. if it does then you have a bad power supply.
m
l
February 17, 2013 10:22:02 PM

what have you done for it to act this way now...? were you overclocking? install software? change hardware?
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2013 10:24:14 PM

Have you tried resetting the CMOS jumper on the MB? Try this last. Follow directions in manaul. Did you have it OC'd? Try removing all the memory except for one stick, making sure it's in the proper slot. You can't even get in to BIOS? also try reseating ALL of the PS connections. Good Luck!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2013 10:24:41 PM

Before you do anything more drastic, do you have both the 24 pin motherboard power connector and the 4/8 pin CPU power connector properly seated in the motherboard?
m
l
February 17, 2013 11:10:02 PM

dingo07 said:
what have you done for it to act this way now...? were you overclocking? install software? change hardware?

I have no idea. I was gone for the weekend and when I came back, it just wasn't working

I took out all the memory except one and I made sure everything was plugged in....and it kinda worked. It would ei show the splash page of my motherboard company and either shut off or not necessarily shut off but have a black screen and nothing else.

m
l
February 18, 2013 12:32:44 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I stopped being able to get a splash page and now my computer will last about half a second before shutting down. I think its my power supply, but I don't have an extra one to check. Is there any way to check a power supply with just one?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2013 12:47:24 AM

paperclip green wire test. if it somewhat working it may cause the fan to come on and stay on. if the fan does not then it a power supply issue.
m
l
!