Replacement for a Sapphire Radeon HD 5970

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybian

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
I will try and keep this short and sweet. I've been having problems within the past year with a known problem of pixalation, display drivers stopping, crashing, etc. The problem could be anything. I've been troubleshooting on and off everything except the GPU because it is the most expensive piece of hardware. When I built mine and my wife's rigs, I read that my card would not fit in her case. Tonight I decided to try and swap them and my card fit in her case. Upon boot up with her rig, it immediately started to show pixelation here and there. I finally confronted my worst fear and what I have always suspected that my GPU is hosed.

So, now I am in the market to replace my card, but I am out of the loop since building my rigs and the 5970 just came out. Going to post answers to the template to add some information.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sooner the better. This is an intermittent problem, but last week it was booting up pixalated and had to restart a couple of times.

BUDGET RANGE: I would love to say no, but after spending $700 on a card that lasted for only two years and was out of warranty, I'm a little gun shy on spending that much. If the warranty is better than two years then I might be game for buying the card.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: This has changed in the past year since I haven't used my computer for much since having the problem. Photo, video editing first, but I used to game a lot also. I still want to do online games like RIFT an EQ II, but I bought an XBOX console for the family and it is kind of fun playing games I would have played on my PC on a huge 3D screen. But if my computer is working top notch, I am always into graphics than size, etc. for games.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 (OC Edition) Corsair CMPSU-1000HX

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Hopefully the rest is in my sig.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon or newegg.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I used to hate ATI because of the drivers. Right now I am flexible.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe since if it is cheaper to get two cards and crossfire, etc. than card with two GPUs.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Two monitors at 1920x1200.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Since building the rigs, I have gone through two CPU coolers(Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283V and currently Noctua NH-D14
) My rig still runs hot because of the office is in the hottest part of the house. OK at winter, but no AC or fan can cool down this room. So the rigs are probably around 5+ or higher C degrees than they should be. I'm thinking I want a card with a lifetime warranty or at least 5 years. Two years does not cut it. Although I built my rig three years ago, its still pretty damn awesome. I feel like I lost a year with it with the problems I have had. The specs and performance for the first two years was great, but I really wanted the card to last a little longer. I have no problem having to SLI or Crossfire, but it it only save $50 or so and degrades performance, I rather just spend the extra $50 to get a dual GPU. So in the end, I need to replace the 5970 and hoping it does not cost the same price or at least the technology will be forefront for the next couple of years and has a better warranty. Thank in advance!

Oh, and Happy New Year everyone!

cybian

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Thanks for the reply. That is a nice price for the HD 7970. I did a quick research a month or so ago and these cards were expensive. The reviews are a little sketchy, but I'll do some more research on this card.

cybian

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008

I'm going to give you the select as best answer because you have had me researching 7960's. Not sure about that card with the reviews but thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.