Upgrading an Acer Aspire x1700

I have been using an Acer Aspire x1700 for over 3 years now. It's been running great apart from the graphics card. My plan is to transfer everything to a larger case to fit a bigger power supply and a better graphics card (on the cheap, around $100). I've never done anything like this so I figured I should get some advice before I spend my money and/or blow something up. I've done a little research and here are the components I've been looking at on Newegg:

COUGAR Spike Black Steel / Plastic MicroATX Mini Tower Gaming Case

COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-700 700W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

EVGA 01G-P3-N988-RX GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (Refurbished)

My questions are:
1) Will this work and will everything play together nicely?
2) Will I need to add or upgrade anything else?
3) The Aspire has a built in card reader in the front. What do I do about transferring that?
4) Any problems I might run into or any general tips on this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrading acer aspire x1700
  1. Get an hd 7770. Its a million times better that the card you listed.

Get a 500w PSU from Antec, Xfx, Corsair, Seasonic. Coolmax is complete crap.
  2. The HD 7770 needs a PCI Express 3.0 x16. My motherboard only has a PCI Express 2.0 x16. I assume that means it won't work right?

How about Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 for the PSU?
  3. That PSU is fine and any 3.0 card is 2.0 backwards compatible with no performance loss at all. You're good to go.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Aspire Acer Systems