Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer Reboots due to Graphic Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 1, 2013 2:27:19 PM

Hello everybody and a Happy New Year.

It seems that this new year comes with a problem with me and my PC. I bought Club 3D AMD Radeon 7870 and installed it on my ASUS P6T SE motherboard. I have i7 930 2.8Ghz CPU by Intel, Thermaltake Power Supplier 850W and 6GB RAM by Kingston. After 30-40 minutes playing Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 with maxed out graphics, the PC restarts without reason. I started monitoring the temperatures of the PC and my card obviously was going over 60 degrees C and I could not see the temperature at the time of the restart as I lose all the data instantly.

So, I figured that the graphics card was not adjusting the fan cooler in a higher level in order to cool down the chip as my previous MSI 4850 did. I also saw that ASUS P6T motherboard does not "see" the graphics cards officially through the board's default programs as the drivers stopped at the spectacular year of... 2010! The questions are:

1. What should I do to cool better the card ( I used an extra fan cooler but it did not work.)
2. Is the graphic card or the mother board responsible for the automatic adjustment of the fan cooler? How can I make them cooperate?
3. Manually I can adjust the fan in a percentage of use via Catalyst Control. Which percentage is preferable? What are the temperature limits of my card?

I wish to have this adjustment automatically, so propose a solution or please tell me what is the most suitable solution with my problem!

Greetings!
Steve
January 1, 2013 2:33:56 PM

How is the air flow in the case? There isn't anything blocking the exhaust in the back? Are you on the latest driver? I highly doubt its your hardware because if it was the GPU/motherboard it wouldn't even use the GPU to begin with.
January 1, 2013 2:36:09 PM

payturr said:
How is the air flow in the case? There isn't anything blocking the exhaust in the back? Are you on the latest driver? I highly doubt its your hardware because if it was the GPU/motherboard it wouldn't even use the GPU to begin with.


OK. I forgot to say that I have checked all the fans in the PC, all the dust condition, the exhaust, I have the latest drivers ecc... No, the problem I know it is the graphic cards. So, does the graphic cards ought to adjust the fan cooler or is it the motherboard responsible for this action?

thanx
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 2:40:17 PM

60 degrees is great! You should begin to worry if the temperature goes above 85 degrees.

You can use MSI Afterbrunger and make a fan profile, where you can choose how much the GPU fan should spin at different temperatures, if you feel like it. Though 60 degrees is really good when under load.

I think you should start looking else where for the problem. Might be a malfunctioning ram stick or PSU. :) 
January 1, 2013 2:40:25 PM

The graphics card itself is supposed to control your fans. I never heard of Club 3D, they could be very bad with their cooling, I always recommend either XFX or MSI because they do a very great job with their thermal solutions.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 2:41:17 PM

stagml said:
OK. I forgot to say that I have checked all the fans in the PC, all the dust condition, the exhaust, I have the latest drivers ecc... No, the problem I know it is the graphic cards. So, does the graphic cards ought to adjust the fan cooler or is it the motherboard responsible for this action?

thanx


The GPU does have an Automatic fan control. :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 2:42:27 PM

payturr said:
The graphics card itself is supposed to control your fans. I never heard of Club 3D, they could be very bad with their cooling, I always recommend either XFX or MSI because they do a very great job with their thermal solutions.


They are pretty common in Europe, I own one of their GPUs too. They make pretty good coolers.
a c 80 U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 2:47:33 PM

stagml said:
So, I figured that the graphics card was not adjusting the fan cooler in a higher level in order to cool down the chip as my previous MSI 4850 did. I also saw that ASUS P6T motherboard does not "see" the graphics cards officially through the board's default programs as the drivers stopped at the spectacular year of... 2010!

What do you mean the drivers stopped in 2010? You need to install the latest AMD Catalyst driver. An old driver could easily be the source of problems like this.
January 1, 2013 2:50:44 PM

Sakkura said:
What do you mean the drivers stopped in 2010? You need to install the latest AMD Catalyst driver. An old driver could easily be the source of problems like this.


Please try to see the point correctly. The drivers of the motherboard stopped at 2010!

The problem is certainly on basis of temperature. These restarts reminds temperature problems. So the videocard is responsible for the automatic adjustment of the fan. Thats a good result from the discussion so far...
a c 80 U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 2:55:53 PM

stagml said:
Please try to see the point correctly. The drivers of the motherboard stopped at 2010!

The problem is certainly on basis of temperature. These restarts reminds temperature problems. So the videocard is responsible for the automatic adjustment of the fan. Thats a good result from the discussion so far...

The GPU will not cause a shutdown unless temperatures get well past 90 degrees C (usually 105 or more). So it could be all sorts of other things as well. For example, your power supply is from Thermaltake (who are known for low quality PSUs) and it may be shutting down with your new graphics card (if it draws more power than what you had before).

payturr said:
The graphics card itself is supposed to control your fans. I never heard of Club 3D, they could be very bad with their cooling, I always recommend either XFX or MSI because they do a very great job with their thermal solutions.

XFX has had some bad coolers lately and MSI had their overvolting issues. I'd rather recommend Sapphire.
January 1, 2013 3:00:10 PM

Here is some info for the temperature and voltage condition of my pc:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6013/23810060.jpg


PS> Ok I agree that maybe the PSU is bad (I can say I hear a sound like rattlesnake when 20 minutes pass or so) but shouldnt the videocard at 60 degrees adjust the fan cooler in a higher level?
January 1, 2013 5:30:51 PM

ok checked the fan, it is indeed controlled by the videocard. So I have a power problem either with the PSU either with the motherbard.

How can I check the function of the PSU? Is there a program that shows measurements?
a c 80 U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 6:21:49 PM

No, unfortunately that could get a bit tricky. The simple way is to just plug it into another computer and try it out, but even that is a bit of a chore.
May 15, 2013 7:56:36 AM

stagml said:
Hello everybody and a Happy New Year.

It seems that this new year comes with a problem with me and my PC. I bought Club 3D AMD Radeon 7870 and installed it on my ASUS P6T SE motherboard. I have i7 930 2.8Ghz CPU by Intel, Thermaltake Power Supplier 850W and 6GB RAM by Kingston. After 30-40 minutes playing Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 with maxed out graphics, the PC restarts without reason. I started monitoring the temperatures of the PC and my card obviously was going over 60 degrees C and I could not see the temperature at the time of the restart as I lose all the data instantly.

So, I figured that the graphics card was not adjusting the fan cooler in a higher level in order to cool down the chip as my previous MSI 4850 did. I also saw that ASUS P6T motherboard does not "see" the graphics cards officially through the board's default programs as the drivers stopped at the spectacular year of... 2010! The questions are:

1. What should I do to cool better the card ( I used an extra fan cooler but it did not work.)
2. Is the graphic card or the mother board responsible for the automatic adjustment of the fan cooler? How can I make them cooperate?
3. Manually I can adjust the fan in a percentage of use via Catalyst Control. Which percentage is preferable? What are the temperature limits of my card?

I wish to have this adjustment automatically, so propose a solution or please tell me what is the most suitable solution with my problem!

Greetings!
Steve


May 15, 2013 7:59:46 AM

I had the same problem and tried everything. Once I chucked out the stupid Thermaltake Power Supply, and fitted a cheaper brand (AeroCool) everything was sorted out. No more spontaneous re-boots.
!