Do i have a bad Graphics Card?

Angelz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Hey guys. I just bought a second Nvidia GTX 670 FTW for SLI. But when i run Skyrim, the game starts lagging, or blacking out, or totally freezing up my system so bad you have to force restart. Sometimes there's discolor in the game and i have tried just about whatever i can think of. I see people on Youtube running SLI with these cards and have no problems with theirs. Also, when you sometimes turn SLI on, the screen goes black, and stays black, and monitor goes to sleep. Sometimes when you turn it OFF, that's even worse. The second card starts going INSANE with it's fan RPM super duper high and doesn't stop. I bought this card here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190773965396?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They said it's a Liquadation Sale. I'm in no mood to process this through the company if that's the case. I will just return the card back to him. I've done way more than enough returns through companies due to defects. I'm sick and tired of it and enough is enough. Everytime i buy something, new used or whatever, it's almost ALWAYS a problem.

Angelz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
My system is custom made and most of it is still fairly new. I have

COSMOS II Case.
Intel i7 Core 3770K
Corsair H100 Cooling Solution.
Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB at 16GB Memory.
Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 Motherboard.
ULTRA 1050watt Power Supply.
Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSDs in RAID0

bamanec

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Two things come to mind, first it could be that your Power Supply is acting up by not being able to power the two cards in SLI. And the other thing that I would try is swap the the cards around and use the new as your main or the old as your main depending on what the difference would be from how you have it set up as of right now.

Angelz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Swap Slots? Oooo, good idea friend. I'll try that. I actually removed the card last night cause i was starting to get worried this thing was gonna damage my system. Oh yeah, i was told 1050 was enough for 2 cards though?

bamanec

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I just saw that you have a very hight watt power supply which should run it no problem, but I would still try the second option that I mentioned, and or maybe see if you have two other 4 or 6 pin connectors to hook to one of the cards. It really sounds like a power supply issue to me. Cause when I overclocked my gpu's I would get that issue with games going black and or causing lag.

Angelz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Well the first one is actually more brand new since i bought that one Factory Sealed. It's served me very nicely for the last....4-5 months with no problems. This one i bought from that Ebay Bin but it was opened. Supposely like new. I just couldn't resist the price. lol. But i'll try that and see what happens and get back to you.

Angelz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Actually, i had just ran out of the 6 pin connectors. One of them is actually a 6 pin to 8 pin connector which the (Not freezing) card was using. I'm actually overclocking my processor using Easytune6. I pushed the big red button. Any chance that has to do with anything?

bamanec

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Oh another thing which may be way off, but hook up just the 670 and make hundred percent sure its at Stock speeds. Cause if it is any higher oc'ed than your other card will try to match the speed and it could cause problems.

Angelz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Back, i have done as instructed. Now to test Skyrim or...turn SLI on and Off to see if any problems continue. Trumeter, thanks for your input. Dang if it really is my PSU that's gonna be 200 dollars flushed down the river...

Angelz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Yes, i have "310.70-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql"

Hmmm... Good call there. I didn't think to run the system with just the 1 card i got yesterday. I'll try that too. ^^

Angelz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Yeah, i just got done removing the other card and am now running the 'newer purchased' card right now. Everything appears to be ok at the moment so i'll run some games and see if anything happens. Oh, you want me to uninstall and reinstall the drivers?

Angelz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Okay, so i did as you (bamanec) told me to do by doing the clean install. I sat here and played Skyrim for 5 minutes or so. And guess what? The game was laggy, started to give temporary freezing and like a minute ago, the screen went black. X__X This is the recently purchased card by itself.