Looking for the right expansion card

godspanther

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
My system has a MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard. I have 1 pci-e 16x slot left open. I want to install an Akasa memory card reader (AK-ICR-17). I need an expansion card with both a internal USB 3.0 motherboard connector & a USB 3.0 A male connector. Does such an expansion card exist? Will I be able to successfully install the component?

Solution
I looked up your motherboard on the MSI Website. It has two USB 3.0 ports on the backpanel but no internal 20 pin USB 3.0 connector so you can connect the USB 3.0 plug by running it out the back of your case and into one of the USB 3.0 sockets on the backplate. Then all you need is one of these(Silverstone PCI Express Card with USB 3.0 Internal Connector Model SST-EC01-P ) to hook up the internal 20 pin connector. BTW make sure that the port that you hook up the SATA cable to is capable of being configured to eSATA mode(usually configured in BIOS) or you may have problems using the eSATA output from your Akasa memory card reader.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I looked up your motherboard on the MSI Website. It has two USB 3.0 ports on the backpanel but no internal 20 pin USB 3.0 connector so you can connect the USB 3.0 plug by running it out the back of your case and into one of the USB 3.0 sockets on the backplate. Then all you need is one of these(Silverstone PCI Express Card with USB 3.0 Internal Connector Model SST-EC01-P ) to hook up the internal 20 pin connector. BTW make sure that the port that you hook up the SATA cable to is capable of being configured to eSATA mode(usually configured in BIOS) or you may have problems using the eSATA output from your Akasa memory card reader.

Solution