Better GPU or SSD

Solution
7970 since you don't care about loading times. Have you seen FC3? It brings down the highest end cards to thier knees with only 50 FPS on Ultra with a 7970 or 680.

Also, Ghz edition is not worth it when you can overclock it.
I recommend this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131471
One of the highest overclocked 7970's on the market. Surpassing the GHz edition by 100Hz.

Also, don't forget it's a lot easier to buy a new SSD than a new high end GPU. Costs much less.

Littlebro

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Ok sorry, didn't have much time earlier. So, here's the situation.

I'm buidling my first gaming PC and I want to get a 7970 Ghz. (been saving up for this PC for over a year now) in combo with a 3570K + cooler, etc.

Now, some people said to me that I should consider getting an SSD because I want to play heavily modded Skyrim with my new PC. I took some time to look into all that and I found some videos showcasing the difference in loading times between a 7200r rpm HDD and an SSD, but they didn't seem so 'Wooow' in my eyes (but that's maybe because I'm used to this 2008 old crappy laptop :p ). So anyways, what do you guys think I should do? A 7950 windforce + SSD or just a XFX 7970 Ghz.? Please keep in mind that I'm not planning on doing too much of OC'ing (just a little bit later on) so the 7950 will never be heavily OC'ed so that it can match a 7970 Ghz.

Thanks in advance!

Littlebro.

EzioAs

Distinguished
A single 7950 is already more than enough to run most games at 1080p. Based on your options, I'd say get a 7950 (whether you OC it or not is irrelevant in most games since they will be playable already at stock speeds) and an SSD.

EzioAs

Distinguished
Relax, every cards can get by 3-4 years just fine. Sure you'll have to lower the settings by then but it is still a great purchase. I have a GTX460, it was released in 2010 and it can still run most newer games at 1080p with high settings and get respectable framerates. Some of the more demanding games might require medium settings but I'm still okay with that.

Computered

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

The current trend in gaming does not support the need for moving above the 7950. A look at video card history for the last few years support this. The 7970 is really only a worthwhile buy if you need GPU computing power or if you are running a multi-monitor system. With a single 1080 monitor the truth is the difference between a 7950 and a 7970 would never be noticed.

The SSD will effect more than gaming, it will effect everything you do with your computer. If you have the choice I would go the 7950 with an SSD. In fact I would go further and suggest if your comfortable with it and since you are gaming at 1080, to look at a 7870 and a larger SSD.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
7970 since you don't care about loading times. Have you seen FC3? It brings down the highest end cards to thier knees with only 50 FPS on Ultra with a 7970 or 680.

Also, Ghz edition is not worth it when you can overclock it.
I recommend this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131471
One of the highest overclocked 7970's on the market. Surpassing the GHz edition by 100Hz.

Also, don't forget it's a lot easier to buy a new SSD than a new high end GPU. Costs much less.

Solution

Littlebro

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I can't buy from newegg where I live, so I'm pretty much tied to the company where I buy. It's also not to far from me and it has very very good customer service. I can only get a XFX DD 7970, a XFX DD Black 7970 or a XFX DD 7970 Ghz.

I maybe forgot to tell that I want to do some video recording when I play games for Youtube and I'm definately a huge fan of FC3 so that's a game I will most certainly cover. Umm I checked with the company and they ask little to no money for an SSD installment, so I think I'll go with the 7970 ghz. and in a month or two I could buy an SSD, since everyone says it offers a big benefit.

But thanks for the help anyways. If you think what I just said is rubbish, you can say so and I will always consider a better option. So, any comments on the above?

Edit:

P.S.: I coudl also buy a 670 FTW or a 670 Windforce, but it's at the same price as the 7970 Ghz. and I already discussed that in another topic so I'll stick with AMD.