Sign in with
Your question

Help Unexplained Lagging in Games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2013 3:10:31 PM

Hi, I wasn't sure where to put this. I need help. I got a gaming rig for christmas. Built it myself.
The parts I chose were great I thought I watched game play footage, benchmarks, the lot! But when I play alot of games they all suffer from this problem. The game runs fine at high settings 720p. At around 40 fps. Then after about a minute of playing it drops all the way to 10 or 15 fps. It plays at this for about 20 seconds then goes back up to 40. I have tried editing the settings, updating drivers ect it still has the same problem. It still drops to low fps when I am doing nothing on the game. This is the list of games it does this on that I have tried so far:

Chivalry medieval combat
Far cry 3
Sleeping dogs
assassins creed 3

Lots of other games play fine; skyrim, Dota 2, Portal 2 on highest settings 1080p. What I don't understand is why the games play fine, then drop to a ridiculous level. It is very puzzling and annoying as I know it is an alright rig and the games were expensive and I can't play them enjoyably. Here are my specs:

AMD FX bulldozer 8 core 8150 Stock cooler
MSI HD Radeon 7770 GHz edition
8GB RAM
500GB Hard drive
550w PSU bronze 80 plus
xigmatek case with 2 fans installed

I have been told that some of these games are badly optimized. This may be the case but both far cry 3 and sleeping dogs are partnered with AMD so that the games are well optimized. I hope it is not a problem with my CPU as it was £137. If you have any idea please leave a reply.

-Nathan
January 1, 2013 3:21:13 PM

Are you monitoring your GPU temps?
January 1, 2013 9:26:14 PM

I will monitor the temps now but the PSU is Power Cool eXtreme cool (bit dodgey I know). As far as I checked before the temps stayed pretty low although the fans do spin alot faster when it drops frames.
Related resources
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 9:36:01 PM

max settings/1080p/1gig vram............. think not. card can't handle the textures so it's swapping.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 9:36:10 PM

Also give us you cpu temps - I would seriously consider upgrading your psu to a good quality brand - why put good money into a computer a cheap out on the part that powers everything?
-Bruce
January 1, 2013 9:47:50 PM

thetechdweller said:
Hi, I wasn't sure where to put this. I need help. I got a gaming rig for christmas. Built it myself.
The parts I chose were great I thought I watched game play footage, benchmarks, the lot! But when I play alot of games they all suffer from this problem. The game runs fine at high settings 720p. At around 40 fps. Then after about a minute of playing it drops all the way to 10 or 15 fps. It plays at this for about 20 seconds then goes back up to 40. I have tried editing the settings, updating drivers ect it still has the same problem. It still drops to low fps when I am doing nothing on the game. This is the list of games it does this on that I have tried so far:

Chivalry medieval combat
Far cry 3
Sleeping dogs
assassins creed 3

Lots of other games play fine; skyrim, Dota 2, Portal 2 on highest settings 1080p. What I don't understand is why the games play fine, then drop to a ridiculous level. It is very puzzling and annoying as I know it is an alright rig and the games were expensive and I can't play them enjoyably. Here are my specs:

AMD FX bulldozer 8 core 8150 Stock cooler
MSI HD Radeon 7770 GHz edition
8GB RAM
500GB Hard drive
550w PSU bronze 80 plus
xigmatek case with 2 fans installed

I have been told that some of these games are badly optimized. This may be the case but both far cry 3 and sleeping dogs are partnered with AMD so that the games are well optimized. I hope it is not a problem with my CPU as it was £137. If you have any idea please leave a reply.

-Nathan

Because unmodded Skyrim, Portal 2, and Dota 2 are all very undemanding games, two run on the Source engine, and one is a DX9 console port.

The other three use rather demanding engines(UE3, etc) and are very texture intensive, the issue can be one of two things.

1. GPU Temperature is too high so the card is intentionally slowing itself to prevent damaging itself.
2. Your expectations of your card are too high, and because only 1GB memory it slows when it has to process a high amount of textures.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 9:54:52 PM

Get MSI Afterburner, set up the OSD to show memory usage in games and then finetune the video settings for each game to keep VRAM usage in check. Biggest perpetrators are the texture quality and AA when it comes to VRAM hogging.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 9:56:36 PM

7770 is a good card, but not that good.

it may be the temps, or the psu, or they game may just be too heavy.

get msi afterburner (or something similar), setup the osd to see temps and fps (among others)
does it slow down in some sections only? or maybe you can check if the fps drops even when in a not-so-heavy areas like a room inside a game, and not some open area with a lot of stuff going on
January 2, 2013 1:54:19 PM

My friend has an I3 2100k and a radeon 6870 and he can play the games fine. My temps stay below 55 constantly.
January 2, 2013 1:55:41 PM

Plus, I have turned all settings down to lowest and disabled AA and stuff but it still does the lag for about 20 seconds then goes back up to 40 odd.
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 3:06:34 PM

run with the side off the case.

check sound. may be driver conflict with amd's sound driver.

run anti malware scans and anti virus scans.

check start up programs an services ( start/search/msconfig ) see what's running but shouldn't be running.

check the firewall.

turn off idiotic stuff like email alert and instant messaging and other useless stuff not strictly related to gaming.

any of these games internet related? if so, what is your connection?
!