Question about recovery

Hello everyone,

I have installed Linux over the Windows and Recovery partitions that came with my HP Pavilion p7-1439. Before I did this, however, I copied all files from the recovery partition of the hard drive to a folder on an external hard drive. My question is: if I ever needed to go back to Windows 8 (the OS that came installed on the machine) for any reason, how could I use the files I copied to restore the machine? Or, if there is no way for that to work, is there any way to reinstall Windows 8 using the OEM license, perhaps, by using a retail disc from the web? Of course, it would be easier to use the files I copied before, if possible.

Thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about question recovery
  1. You can't use the recovery files that you copied on to an external hard drive because the HP recovery software that was pre-installed no longer exists, and even if it did exist, it looks for the recovery partition on the internal hard drive only - - there is no way to tell it to look elsewhere.

What you should have done was make a set of recovery discs when Windows 8 was still intact, using the HP Recovery Media Creator in Windows.

Or, alternatively, you could have created a backup image of the entire hard drive and saved it to your external hard drive, before getting rid of Windows 8.

The only way you can revert to Windows 8 now is to order a set of recovery discs from HP, for which you will have to pay a small charge.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Data Recovery External Hard Drive Systems