Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Streaming from internet to LG TV

Last response: in Networking
Share
February 6, 2012 11:47:47 AM

Hello,
I've got my LG TV set up to accept streaming video from files on my desktop. The connection is via ethernet, and two powerline adaptors. What I'd like to do is stream internet content from my PC to the TV. I got a Netflix free trial recently, but can't get an activation code because my TV doesn't support it yet. I can get the movies streamed to my desktop and watch them there, but would rather see them on my TV. Is there a way to stream from my desktop to the PC via ethernet cable?

More about : streaming internet

February 6, 2012 11:59:40 AM

Your tv needs client software in order to view streamed movies. If your tv doesn't have a built in netflix program or a hulu+ program or something of the sort (tv that supports DLNA), then you can't stream video.
February 6, 2012 12:56:31 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Your tv needs client software in order to view streamed movies. If your tv doesn't have a built in netflix program or a hulu+ program or something of the sort (tv that supports DLNA), then you can't stream video.

Thanks for the reply Hawkeye. The TV does support DLNA, and I can get streams from other sites with the relevant LG app. There isn't one for Netflix on LG yet. On the face of it, the solution to my problem must seem easy. I can get Netflix movies to play on the desktop monitor and I have a good ethernet connection to the TV downstairs. I can play any files I already have on the PC and watch them on TV, but I can't get this final piece sorted, streaming internet video to the TV via the PC. I don't just want to do grab Netflix either. There must be software that would allow me to play streamed internet video on my PC via the ethernet connection. I'm amazed at the trouble I've had trying to find out.
Related resources
February 6, 2012 2:22:01 PM

I think windows media player version 11 or 12 supports media streaming. If your tv supports DLNA as stated, it should see your computer as a media server if you have media player set up properly.

My PS3 supports DLNA and sees my computers with no extra setup required on the PS3. All I did was turn on the option in media player to allow streaming to all devices on the LAN.

Ahhhh, must be version 11. I just found this. It shows vista, but I've done this in win 7 with no issues.

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35037&for...

I also found this and many more just by googling "dlna server for pc".

http://www.tvmobili.com/
February 6, 2012 8:24:59 PM

Its not free but apparently Twonky Server streams from web sources like youtube direct to your TV.

Check it put online to see if it works with netflix.
February 7, 2012 7:34:49 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
I think windows media player version 11 or 12 supports media streaming. If your tv supports DLNA as stated, it should see your computer as a media server if you have media player set up properly.

My PS3 supports DLNA and sees my computers with no extra setup required on the PS3. All I did was turn on the option in media player to allow streaming to all devices on the LAN.

Ahhhh, must be version 11. I just found this. It shows vista, but I've done this in win 7 with no issues.

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35037&for...

I also found this and many more just by googling "dlna server for pc".

http://www.tvmobili.com/


Hi Hawkeye, and thanks again. I followed those links. TVMobili is working on a months's trial and it seems fine. But as far as I can see, it justs streams my media from the desktop to the TV, and Vuze and Nero 4 and Mezzmo and TVersity, all of which I've tried, do exactly the same. My Media Player 11 gives me no extra options when I check the 'share' box in Library, so I can't do much with that. Even so, it doesn't seem to offer what I want, which is to stream live video from the net (like I said, Netflix was just one example) which I can get as far as my PC, then down my ethernet connection to the DLNA enabled TV. I was maybe hoping to get football on...
I've been googling 'stream video from net to PC to TV' for ages, but nothing gets me there.
February 7, 2012 7:35:59 AM

d85kennedy said:
Its not free but apparently Twonky Server streams from web sources like youtube direct to your TV.

Check it put online to see if it works with netflix.


Thanks d85K, I'll give it a look.
February 7, 2012 4:51:48 PM

Hi,
Just an update.. Nothing I've tried so far works. I can watch internet streams on my PC, right there on the monitor, but nothing so far can help with that last step, which is pushing it all down the ethernet cable to the TV.
February 7, 2012 5:20:46 PM

Yeah, most of the media servers I know about can only stream files off your computer. They can't redirect another media stream like netflix or pandora from a computer to your tv.

You'd think that if a console like the ps3 or xbox can do it, so should your computer.
February 8, 2012 11:31:19 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
Yeah, most of the media servers I know about can only stream files off your computer. They can't redirect another media stream like netflix or pandora from a computer to your tv.

You'd think that if a console like the ps3 or xbox can do it, so should your computer.


True enough. Twonky Beam got close, but while it recognises jpgs and gif files, it doesn't seem to see the movie that's playing under its very nose....
I'll keep trying. I appreciate your showing interest.
March 8, 2012 9:04:50 AM

Reading this thread is exactly what I have going through these past few weeks if anyone can find an answer it will be great
If I find anything else I will definatly post.
Thanks
April 12, 2012 9:27:51 PM

I tried a lot of the stuff above without success and then got a Xenta hdmi transmit/receive setup that works fine. I connect the hdmi out from my machine upstairs to the Xenta transmitter and the receiver downstairs to one of the hdmi sockets on my LG tv and it's spot on. I use it mainly to watch football from internet sites. But it should be a doddle to do it via Ethernet since the tv can already do that with YouTube, iplayer etc. Why not from my computer? One day. In the meantime I've got a Raspberry Pi on order. That runs under Linux, has its own browser etc, a full hdmi output and costs £30. It's very small and I'll just stick it behind the tv and remote control it with my iPad. It'll save me having to mess about upstairs switching hdmi from monitor to the Xenta and it costs practically nothing.
Anonymous
July 3, 2012 9:05:52 PM

exactly my problem! ive seen videos for intel WiDi and the likes but these cost money. i want to stream the football as well but cant without buying more hardware around £80.00.

I bought a netgear universal wifi adapter that is great to stream moveis pics etc but no pc on tv which is what I need.

looked at a few forums which give alot of back end ways to do this but they are not very reliable!

it is 2012 and if my pc was beside my tv then 1 wire would solve this problem so why not wireless??? very strange. seem the companies just want more money from us??

i would really know if anyone can help

steven
September 10, 2012 6:08:24 PM

Hello everyone,
Background: I just bought a fairly limited dlna TV which can suck files off my networked computers but has almost no internet cappability (facebook + shoutcast + nothing else). Obvously accessto YouTube, NetFlix etc. was going to be a problem, but on the other hand it's 40% cheaper than a "proper" internet TV.
Possible solution: this ( http://www.plexapp.com/download/win-download-new.php ) claims to stream pretty much anything you want over your netwok to dlna devices. Can't say if it works yet because it's still downloading, but I'll post back when I know.
Good luck

Rob
October 10, 2012 3:35:59 PM

RobInBrazil said:
Hello everyone,
Background: I just bought a fairly limited dlna TV which can suck files off my networked computers but has almost no internet cappability (facebook + shoutcast + nothing else). Obvously accessto YouTube, NetFlix etc. was going to be a problem, but on the other hand it's 40% cheaper than a "proper" internet TV.
Possible solution: this ( http://www.plexapp.com/download/win-download-new.php ) claims to stream pretty much anything you want over your netwok to dlna devices. Can't say if it works yet because it's still downloading, but I'll post back when I know.
Good luck

Rob


We'll waiting you with an update regarding plexapp usage. I have using Plex It button and youtube like videos was sent to queque, which is great. But movies from other sources was not recognized as a valid video. I have to dig more about this. Still waiting for your impresions.
October 29, 2012 1:54:03 PM

hi Guy,

i have being trying to send a web page app from my pc to a smart lg tv via a lan rj-45 cable but the best i could get is viewing pictures and movies from the tv, please can anyone help with a solution i want to send file and application to the tv from pc via lan cable
December 11, 2012 7:00:41 AM

Hi, has anyone solved this issue? :bounce: 

I have the same need also. BIG THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
February 7, 2014 10:21:05 AM

ColinD said:
Hello,
I've got my LG TV set up to accept streaming video from files on my desktop. The connection is via ethernet, and two powerline adaptors. What I'd like to do is stream internet content from my PC to the TV. I got a Netflix free trial recently, but can't get an activation code because my TV doesn't support it yet. I can get the movies streamed to my desktop and watch them there, but would rather see them on my TV. Is there a way to stream from my desktop to the PC via ethernet cable?


February 7, 2014 10:26:25 AM

I am looking to do the same thing. Interesting i have an app on my android that can stream, via DLNA, YouTube. The app is called LGTVMedia. It keeps working even when the android device is turned "off" (Like reboot off). Looks like the program redirects the stream. Now if we can do it with Netflix?
!