Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can Overheating cause lockups?

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2013 3:23:08 AM

The topic says it all. I am encountering the situation where my system will stop certain actions, to include file transfers (like moving large numbers of files via USB) and in games like World of Tanks and Star Wars: The Old Republic. In the latter game, I would get dropped out to the server selection screen or character selection screen. In the former game, WoT, my tank will continue whatever I was doing at the moment the lock-up starts. So if I was rotating in place, the hull will continue to spin on-screen while I retain control of the turret. This lock-up will continue for ~10 seconds.

Within the last few minutes of playing WoT, I noticed my CPU fan spinning loudly before my tank became unresponsive twice in one match. Any thoughts as to if cooling might be the problem?

More about : overheating lockups

Best solution

February 18, 2013 3:26:19 AM

Yea if something overheats, your system will shut down to prevent damage. Check your temps with the speedfan program. If they seem high try reapplying thermal paste. If that doesn't work, then get a new cooler.

I know how you feel about WoT. One time i lagged and drove into a lake. It sucked because I was top tier so my teammates depended on me.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2013 3:30:45 AM

I'll suggest first dusting out your computer with compressed air, then consider other options if that doesn't do the trick.
What kind of cooling, case and airflow do you have?
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 3:34:42 AM

C12Friedman said:
I'll suggest first dusting out your computer with compressed air, then consider other options if that doesn't do the trick.
What kind of cooling, case and airflow do you have?

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm using just a mini-fan blowing into my case atm. Using SpeedFan as Azn Cracker had suggested, my GPU is at 49C and the CPU is at 43C.

m
l
February 18, 2013 5:20:27 AM

Best answer selected by Andrea_Berretti.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2013 6:55:38 AM

Try CPUID Hardware Monitor OR Open Hardware Monitor.

great programs to monitor. Speedfan caused issues with Dell Ultrasharp models.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:57:40 AM

envy14tpe said:
Try CPUID Hardware Monitor OR Open Hardware Monitor.

great programs to monitor. Speedfan caused issues with Dell Ultrasharp models.

I will do that, thank you!
m
l
!