New GTX 660 - System shutdown during gaming

james5118

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Hello,

I just received and installed my GIGABYTE Gtx 660 oc 2gb windforce card (brand new) today and when I go to play games like BF3, WoW, D3 my entire computer will just shutdown after like 2-5 mins of game play (smooth game play no problems). No errors or anything it just simply shuts down. Card is not overheating its at around 27-30C idle and 45-55C under load for the games i've been playing. I can browse the internet and watch videos and no shutdown happens. I have not had any problems like this with my previous card a HD radeon 5770 1gb.

I have installed the latest drivers as of today (31/12/2012) right after installation.

My setup:

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660 2gb DDR5 OC windforce
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T processor 6 cores ~2.8Ghz
Memory: 8 GB of hyperx 1600mhz ram
PSU: 700watt Xion supply
MB: ASUSTek Computer INC, Model: M4N68T-M-V2, chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 7025
Bios: American Megatrends Inc, Version: 0501, Date: 08/03/2010

I am not sure what would be causing this problem, is it just a faulty card or? I connected the GPU connector 6pin to 2x molex to 2 separate 12v rails both which are 21A.
If you could please help it would be appreciated!

Solution
It could be a broken/bad card you know. That's why I suggest you test your card at some other system (maybe a local computer store) or maybe just RMA it

james5118

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I have this 700 watt PSU called a XION, model number is XON-700P12N. Haven't have problems with it at all before, but after doing research maybe I have to upgrade it? I just dont want to go out and buy a PSU if that is not the problem.

EzioAs

Distinguished
Just read on JonnyGuru that the psu is actually a bad unit. It's not as bad as the grey generic ones but still bad, so if you could borrow from someone who has a better psu or test your card in their system, that's a good way to determine which components is the real problem.

james5118

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I don't have anyone i could borrow and test from. I don't know much about PSU's but im reading bad reviews about mine aswell. Thinking about picking up http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276567& seems to have alot of good reviews. What do you think? Hopefully this will solve my problem.

james5118

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Looking at the power consumption comparison between my new card and my old card.

GTX 660 - Full load avg. 292 watts (149 watts idle)
HD 5770 - Full load avg 284 watts (171 watts idle)

So my new card uses 8 more watts on average for full load, I don't understand why this problem wouldn't of been happening with my old card (system shutdown) since their power consumption are very close.

G

oi have no idea where you got those figures. the 660 uses ~23 watts more:
power_average.gif

also as far as you PSU; what i noticed:
I connected the GPU connector 6pin to 2x molex to 2 separate 12v rails both which are 21A.

first of all i have doubts as to the quality of that PSU if you need an adapter for a single card. also there is NO WAY to know what rail those molex are using. actually it would be more likely that the molex and PCI power connections are on the same rail.

and that makes sense because its when the card goes to a higher power state for 3D gaming is when it fails . .

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Also i hope you ran drive fusion as well just to fully clean from the old ati drivers

james5118

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I ran drive sweeper to fully clean from ati drivers.

Regarding connectors, when I first installed the card I used the 6 pin PCIe connector. My pc would then shutdown after 5 mins or so of gaming. I thought maybe it was because I did not use the 2x 4 pin to 6 pin adapter that came in the box so I tried that and still no luck same thing happens.

Kari

Splendid

that is exactly how it is meant to be, nothing wrong there... the shorter 'fingers' are done on purpose, I just cant recall the actuall reason for it but it had something to do with what those contacts were used for. (signaling/power/ etc...)

edit
google came up with this
"They are used for two purposes: indicating that a board is physically
present in the slot and providing information about the total power
requirements of the board." - PCI Spec, Rev. 2.1, Section 4.4.1.

It also states that these signals "inform the motherboard of the power
requirements of the add-in board.... The motherboard provides pull-ups on
these signals to indicate when no board is currently present." Section 2.2.8.

james5118

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
GTX 660 - requires 24A and minimum PSU of 450W
HD 5770 - requires 34A and minimum PSU of 500W

Old card requires more power yet its shutting down from one that requires less?

G

again where are you getting that FUD?

Kari

Splendid

those numbers are for the entire system, and since the values are from different sources using different system configs they are not directly comparable...
look at the power numbers from techpowerup where they measure how much the card itself is using
like this
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Club_3D/HD_7870_jokerCard_Tahiti_LE/26.html
if you dig up older reviews you'll find numbers for older cards as well that are not in the graphs anymore...

G

that simply looks like a list that someone made after going to the manufacturers site(s).

above i posted a benchmark from a review sight that measures ACTUAL real world usage of just the card; not a manufacturer's "recommendations". also the systems that where around for the 5770 used more power than most systems used today so the recommendations would change to being being lower.

and simply looking at the label of the PSU and seeing 700 watts on the side doesn't mean it delivers 700 watts. esp. with an "off brand" PSU such as you have. there are far too many PSUs that can't deliver half the wattage that is on the label.
Don't Be Surprised When Your Cheap PSU Blows Up

when the card is playing a 3d game its power consumption increases dramatically. if that is the time it fails, then you NEED to be looking at your PSU.

james5118

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
when the card is playing a 3d game its power consumption increases dramatically. if that is the time it fails, then you NEED to be looking at your PSU.

I have just put my old card back in and tested games full load and my pc is having no problems. I understand that the power consumption increases during gaming, but if you look here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/538?vs=660 idle and load between the two arent that much far apart. If it were the PSU I believe it would of done the same thing with my HD 5770. Either way I am going to exchange the card for a new one, and if the problem persists I will be picking up a new PSU with a quality brand.