TV-tuner and network problems

Deus_Apollo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2002
Hi, I'm a Linux newbie, and a first time poster on the Tomshardware forum. Anyway getting to the point, I have had two problems since installing redhat 7.2.

1. For some reason when I get into gnome the audio from my tv-tuner plays. I can't see any application or anything open. In case it's relevant, my cd drive is connected to the ati tv wonder which is connected to my soundcard. Any help as to how to prevent the audio from coming on or stopping it would be appreciated.

2. This problem isn't as bad but somewhat annoying. When gnome starts I get an error message to the effect of: could not look up internet address for res193-96-68 this problem may be fixable by adding res193-96-68 to file /etc/hosts (not sure if i added it correctly but still have the same problem) In case it's relevant my schools uses DHCP to assign an ip address to my computer.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Not sure why the tv-tuner is playing... but:
Just map your computer name (i.e.) res193-whatever
to the localhost (127.0.0.1) section of /etc/hosts.

When you get into Gnome, open a terminal and run "ps -aux"...This looks for processes. If you find anything with sound or whatever, kill it and see if that helps.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Deus_Apollo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2002
Ok so apparantly I added res193-96-68 to the file incorrectly the first time, but I got it working now. As for the sound from the tv tuner, still have no idea what is going on here, I ran ps-aux but so much came up and I have no idea which things could possibly be using sound.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
I wonder if Linux thinks your TV card is your sound card? Did it identify the sound card properly during install? You can run setup from the shell if you need to configure sound again.

It's normal for Gnome to make some noise when you log in, but if it's trying to play through the wrong device, things could get confused. You can turn it off in the control center (or though the "start here" icon in RH7.2).

Edit: If it comes to it, you can always open an audio mixer and mute the tv card channel.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by poorboy on 02/06/02 02:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Deus_Apollo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2002
I went into the Hardware Browser and it seems as if things are recognized fine. I also went into the audio mixer and tried muting various things. The sound stopped when I selected the mute cd option; it also stopped after I muted Digital2. Seems kinda odd that those two would stop the sound, but it's good for now.