Your question

Windows 7 saving to internal HD problem

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • HD
Last response: in Windows 7
January 30, 2010 5:40:50 PM

I just downloaded Windows 7 to my PC upgrading it from Vista. I started putting some pictures on my PC and it goes directly to my internal hd and is filling it almost to capacity. I once wiped my drive and was told when the PC is rebooting to press f12 and change it from internal hd to cd/dvd but this isn't working. How can I make it so the things I upload onto my computer don't take up all my hd space? Plus, I don't know tons about computers so a step by step process would be great. Thanks!

More about : windows saving internal problem

a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2010 6:17:16 PM

"I just downloaded Windows 7 to my PC upgrading it from Vista."
Do you happen to mean that you INSTALLED Windows 7 Upgrade?

"I started putting some pictures on my PC and it goes directly to my internal hd and is filling it almost to capacity."
Saving to the internal hdd is the default location, unless you specify otherwise.
If you have an external USB drive or USB stick and wish to save to it, then you need to specify where you want to save it to.
How big is this drive and how much free space do you have?

"I once wiped my drive and was told when the PC is rebooting to press f12 and change it from internal hd to cd/dvd but this isn't working."
If you wiped your drive that would mean it was empty with no operating system or any other files, rebooting and pressing F12 would have been to restore the system to the way it was when you first got it.
It is not designed to just access your cd/dvd drive, to do that you insert a cd/dvd in your drive and if auto start is active it will pop a box with the options to play run or burn data to the disk, depending on the type of disk.

"How can I make it so the things I upload onto my computer don't take up all my hd space?"
That's easy, don't upload anything and it won't use your hdd.
If you are that short of space, a new drive of a larger capacity is overdue, they are very cheap now.
The thing is even if you don't upload (copy) any data to your drive, Windows updates, Antivirus updates, all will continue to add files to your computer.
Then there are the Windows restore points which also use large chunks of space.
You could uninstall any programs that you don't use to make room. Go to add/remove programs and look through the list for any programs that you don't use.
m
l
!