camera doesn't focus

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 21, 2005 8:32:12 PM

I got a new FZ5 camera on Friday. I've been trying it out in simple
mode and more often than not the camera will not focus. I've even tried
pushing the shutter halfway down and supposedly setting the focus that
way (it doesn't help). I might understand if it was all close things,
but I couldn't even get a clear shot of something on a wall 15 feet
away. Is there anything I should try before assuming my camera is
defective and sending it back?

Thanks.

beeswing

More about : camera focus

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:55:55 AM

beeswing wrote:
> I got a new FZ5 camera on Friday. I've been trying it out in simple
> mode and more often than not the camera will not focus. I've even
> tried pushing the shutter halfway down and supposedly setting the
> focus that way (it doesn't help). I might understand if it was all
> close things, but I couldn't even get a clear shot of something on a
> wall 15 feet away. Is there anything I should try before assuming my
> camera is defective and sending it back?
>
> Thanks.
>
> beeswing

You might check through the manual for anything concerned with focus, as
there are some settings you can change. However, I don't recall any
settings which turn focus off completely and, as the focus is done in
software, I can't see how it could not work. Perhaps the lens isn't
mounted correctly? Does the visual blurring due to out-of-focus change
with the zoom setting. Does the viewfinder change when you press the
shutter release half-way down (I'm wondering if it's actually the release
which is faulty). Does the lens go through an "extending for work"
routine when you switch the camera on?

In any case, I suggest taking it back to the dealer, and comparing it with
another specimen. Sounds faulty. I hope you get a replacement without
argument.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:08:18 PM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:55:55 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>beeswing wrote:
>> I got a new FZ5 camera on Friday. I've been trying it out in simple
>> mode and more often than not the camera will not focus. I've even
>> tried pushing the shutter halfway down and supposedly setting the
>> focus that way (it doesn't help). I might understand if it was all
>> close things, but I couldn't even get a clear shot of something on a
>> wall 15 feet away. Is there anything I should try before assuming my
>> camera is defective and sending it back?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> beeswing
>
>You might check through the manual for anything concerned with focus, as
>there are some settings you can change. However, I don't recall any
>settings which turn focus off completely and, as the focus is done in
>software, I can't see how it could not work. Perhaps the lens isn't
>mounted correctly? Does the visual blurring due to out-of-focus change
>with the zoom setting. Does the viewfinder change when you press the
>shutter release half-way down (I'm wondering if it's actually the release
>which is faulty). Does the lens go through an "extending for work"
>routine when you switch the camera on?
>
>In any case, I suggest taking it back to the dealer, and comparing it with
>another specimen. Sounds faulty. I hope you get a replacement without
>argument.
>
>Cheers,
>David

On my Sony W1 the close-up (macro) button stays set even after
powering down, this is not the case with my Z15.
However I have got into the habit of checking for this plus the
flash settings before shooting.
August 22, 2005 12:11:35 PM

David J Taylor wrote:
> Does the viewfinder change when you press the
> shutter release half-way down (I'm wondering if it's actually the release
> which is faulty).

I only have a minute; I'm late for work. But this question particularly
concerns me. *Should* the viewfinder change when I press the shutter
release down half-way...or not? Because it doesn't. I push it down half
way and I'd think, myself, that it would lock into focus, but that's
not the case.

If this isn't it, I'll take time later and address the rest of your
very good questions. Thanks.

beeswing
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:14:01 PM

Dave Sill wrote:
> "beeswing" <beeswing@aol.com> writes:
>
> > ... Is there anything I should try before assuming my camera is
> > defective and sending it back?
>
> Have you adjusted the diopter of viewfinder?
>
> -Dave

Wouldn't that just affect what I see and not what the camera takes a
picture as?

beeswing
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:24:10 PM

"beeswing" <beeswing@aol.com> writes:

> ... Is there anything I should try before assuming my camera is
> defective and sending it back?

Have you adjusted the diopter of viewfinder?

-Dave
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:34:23 PM

beeswing wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Does the viewfinder change when you press the
>> shutter release half-way down (I'm wondering if it's actually the
>> release which is faulty).
>
> I only have a minute; I'm late for work. But this question
> particularly concerns me. *Should* the viewfinder change when I press
> the shutter release down half-way...or not? Because it doesn't. I
> push it down half way and I'd think, myself, that it would lock into
> focus, but that's not the case.
>
> If this isn't it, I'll take time later and address the rest of your
> very good questions. Thanks.
>
> beeswing

When I depress the shutter release half way:

- an aperture and exposure value appears at the bottom of the display

- the image-stabilisation (2) symbol disappears

- the ISO, quality and number of images left disappears

- the centre rectangle turns green

- the green Focus OK LED appears at the top of the screen

Of course, you can choose different viewfinder modes, so what I describe
won't be exactly what you see, but I would imagine /some/ change between
not pressed and half-pressed. I'm just wondering if the half-press state
isn't being detected.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:26:51 PM

On 22 Aug 2005 08:14:01 -0700, beeswing <beeswing@aol.com> wrote:

> Dave Sill wrote:
>> "beeswing" <beeswing@aol.com> writes:
>>
>> > ... Is there anything I should try before assuming my camera is
>> > defective and sending it back?
>>
>> Have you adjusted the diopter of viewfinder?
>>
>> -Dave
>
> Wouldn't that just affect what I see and not what the camera takes a
> picture as?

Yes.

If you push the shutter release button down half-way, a green dot should
appear in the viewfinder or LCD indicating that the camera thinks it's
in focus (along with exposure information, though I'm not sure if
Simple mode gives that; maybe try the same test in P mode).

When you're testing, make sure that there's some contrast in the focus
region. Inside, try aiming the camera at a shelf full of books or a
cluttered desk or something. Trying to focus on a bare wall, or a bare
wall with one object hanging, will be more difficult for the AF routine.
If it still can't focus, you may have a lemon that will need to be sent
back and exchanged for a working camera.

-dms
!