I built my computer in early 2008. Here are the specs:-

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
RAM: Crucial 2GB DDR2
SSD: OCZ Vertex Plus Sata 2.5" 60GB
HDDs: Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD321KJ + S166 HD082GJ
Optical Drive: Samsung Super WriteMaster SH-S203
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3850
Case: ThermalTake LANBox (only takes micro-ATX)
PSU: Corsair HX520 520W
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster

I am looking to upgrade my system to Windows 7 64 bit. I've been a bit out of the loop in terms of computing for the past few years so I need bringing up to speed. I intend to use my computer for internet, watching films and playing modern games (no need for highest graphics settings, as long as the game runs smoothly).

1. Should I get Windows 7 Home or Professional? The only reason I would go for Professional is I may still need to run some Windows XP programs.

2. What is the price difference between OEM and retail, and where can I can either for cheapest?

3. If I go for OEM, is it worth upgrading my motherboard and RAM? Should I go for DDR3 RAM or wait for DDR4?

4. If I upgrade my motherboard and RAM, what is the likelihood of selling my old motherboard and RAM?

You dont need pro . It has a few features home users never need

oem is locked to your computer , retail you can move to another computer once you take it off that one

its worth upgrading your entire computer when it cant do what you need it to Yours cant since a 3850 wont play todays games smoothly on any setting

none

But just to add a wildcard . Get the download update for Win 8 , Really cheap for a few more days .
NO more retail and oem . The advantages of retail at half oem price for the upgrade version

I dont think so . You can update winXP to 8

But if you find the download site [ Im not in North America so I have never looked ] you could check the terms and conditions

I have been using 8 for a couple of months . There is a learning curve , but some nice new features ....and I used Classic Shell which is a free download to add a start button

Psycho Savager

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I think I'll stick with Windows 7 for the time being. Where can I get the cheapest OEM version?

I played a new game recently and my graphics card was able to play it with only a tiny bit of lag. I can always go for a new card at a later date, it's the RAM I'm concerned about at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS