Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX superclocked 680 vs 7970Ghz

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 1, 2013 7:10:04 PM

I'm playing single monitor 1920x1080 (plan on going dual in the near future) and i'm looking to buy a new graphics card. So which would be better in terms of performance, temps etc? I'll most likely be playing Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Farcry 3, Guild wars 2, Planetside etc etc.


MSI HD 7970 Lightning BOOSTED Edition 3072MB GDDR5

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

Or the 4GB superclocked 680.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/98549/GV-N680OC-4GD/Gr...

or finally the 7970Ghz edition.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

Thanks in advance. A rank in order of which you'd recomend would be nice.
January 1, 2013 7:26:14 PM

You need neither, I can max out Metro 2033, Battlefield 3, AND Planetside 2 with a Sapphire 7870 and an i7 3770, and still get 40-60 FPS.
Related resources
January 1, 2013 7:31:04 PM

If you're playing on high resolutions the 7970 will serve you better but if you're just playing at, say 1600x900 or below a GTX680 will give better performance by about 5-10FPS average.

Also the MSi is not a 7970GHz, it is a stock 7970 with an aftermarket cooler and factory OC, 7970GHz editions have boost clocks. I'd reccomend a Vapor-X, for great OC, not the 3 fan Gigabyte(very loud). If you go the GTX680 route, the Twin Frozr 4GD5 is my personal reccomendation.
January 1, 2013 7:38:26 PM

darksparten said:
If you're playing on high resolutions the 7970 will serve you better but if you're just playing at, say 1600x900 or below a GTX680 will give better performance by about 5-10FPS average.

Also the MSi is not a 7970GHz, it is a stock 7970 with an aftermarket cooler and factory OC, 7970GHz editions have boost clocks. I'd reccomend a Vapor-X, for great OC, not the 3 fan Gigabyte(very loud). If you go the GTX680 route, the Twin Frozr 4GD5 is my personal reccomendation.


I will be maxing out the resolutions, so the Msi 7970 it is. How would you compare the Vapor-X vs the Msi?
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 7:59:08 PM

pyezz said:
I will be maxing out the resolutions, so the Msi 7970 it is. How would you compare the Vapor-X vs the Msi?


Try the ASUS Matrix 7970. Best 7970 on the market.

I dont know what the clocks for the Vapor-X is but check that.
January 1, 2013 8:05:22 PM

darksparten said:
If you're playing on high resolutions the 7970 will serve you better but if you're just playing at, say 1600x900 or below a GTX680 will give better performance by about 5-10FPS average.

Also the MSi is not a 7970GHz, it is a stock 7970 with an aftermarket cooler and factory OC, 7970GHz editions have boost clocks. I'd reccomend a Vapor-X, for great OC, not the 3 fan Gigabyte(very loud). If you go the GTX680 route, the Twin Frozr 4GD5 is my personal reccomendation.

You need to read some reviews.Upto 1080p res there is no difference.Its 1400p res where the gaps shows up..
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 8:28:07 PM

680 all the way. No questions asked, the 680 is the best performing single GPU graphics card out there.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 9:09:52 PM

pyezz said:
Better than the 680?


By about 5%. That's the 7970 clocked at 1000MHz. Higher clocked models will have their respective speed improvements.
January 1, 2013 9:23:09 PM

samuelspark said:
By about 5%. That's the 7970 clocked at 1000MHz. Higher clocked models will have their respective speed improvements.


Ahh, thanks, so that other guy must be an Nvidia fanboy.
January 1, 2013 9:31:13 PM

That is not what he's asking, maybe he wants a future proof computer unlike yours.
Coldice54 said:
You need neither, I can max out Metro 2033, Battlefield 3, AND Planetside 2 with a Sapphire 7870 and an i7 3770, and still get 40-60 FPS.

January 1, 2013 9:34:08 PM

asalikus said:
That is not what he's asking, maybe he wants a future proof computer unlike yours.


Couldn't of said it better myself.
January 1, 2013 9:43:48 PM

No it's not, it all depends on what games you want to play on your computer. Here is an article to give you an idea of how strong the 7970GE is. Overall, 7970GE is a faster card than 680.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-...
calumconroy said:
680 all the way. No questions asked, the 680 is the best performing single GPU graphics card out there.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 10:25:38 PM

For raw performance when overclocked, the 7970 will beat the 680 hands down. If you do care about temps and/or power use, then the 680 is probably a better bet though. 7970's, especially when overclocked, run hot and gobble up power. It's like when the GTX 480's came out, they were beastly, heat-spewing power hogs.

And yes, for a resolution of 1080p or higher - don't go with something lower than the 7970/680. 3 or 4gb vram is overkill for now, but who knows down the road. It will probably become more relevant in a few years.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 11:34:50 PM

calumconroy said:
680 all the way. No questions asked, the 680 is the best performing single GPU graphics card out there.



Bold statement and of course not true, the 7970 overall is the better card across the board. If you need 3D or Cuda than the 600 series is the way to go, everything else the 7970.
January 1, 2013 11:37:30 PM

You can just simply find a $25 cooling solution and it will be even faster with less heat and noise.
fudoka711 said:
For raw performance when overclocked, the 7970 will beat the 680 hands down. If you do care about temps and/or power use, then the 680 is probably a better bet though. 7970's, especially when overclocked, run hot and gobble up power. It's like when the GTX 480's came out, they were beastly, heat-spewing power hogs.

And yes, for a resolution of 1080p or higher - don't go with something lower than the 7970/680. 3 or 4gb vram is overkill for now, but who knows down the road. It will probably become more relevant in a few years.

a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2013 11:51:14 PM

4GB on a 680 does not make much sense, it would be crippled by its 256bit bus long before it runs out of memory. I game @ 1080p 120hz and quite please with the 680's performance.

Power consumption should not be a concern the 7970 only consumes a few more watts . Another issue is scaling, this is where the 7970 really shines most will overclock easily to 1200mhz and at those speeds it will beat out any card regardless of clock speed.

Just pick whatever is cheaper since the differences between both cards will barely be noticable
January 2, 2013 1:29:20 AM

asalikus said:
No it's not, it all depends on what games you want to play on your computer. Here is an article to give you an idea of how strong the 7970GE is. Overall, 7970GE is a faster card than 680.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-...


And with catalyst 12.11 its even better.
January 2, 2013 1:32:52 AM

Defiantly better...
whyso said:
And with catalyst 12.11 its even better.

January 2, 2013 3:00:12 AM

7970ghz pulls out ahead by a few fps in almost everything.
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 4:13:56 AM
January 2, 2013 5:37:14 PM

I saw it somewhere, I don't remember where, but they had a benchmark graph showing relative performance of all the modern graphic cards and 7970GHz edition was 2% faster than all the other cards.
January 2, 2013 5:44:33 PM

hard question both perform very similar
January 2, 2013 5:54:27 PM

It really depends on what you wanna play.
January 6, 2013 3:37:33 AM

asalikus said:
That is not what he's asking, maybe he wants a future proof computer unlike yours.


Mine is pretty future proof, the 3770 is very powerful, and I could just buy another 7870.
January 6, 2013 7:18:54 PM

1.What do you do with your computer?
2.Not as future proof as his computer.
Coldice54 said:
Mine is pretty future proof, the 3770 is very powerful, and I could just buy another 7870.

January 10, 2013 8:24:19 PM

asalikus said:
1.What do you do with your computer?
2.Not as future proof as his computer.


Sure, not as, but then I can tri-fire. I play Gcard heavy games like Crysis, Battlefield 3, and Metro 2033.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 10:18:50 PM

Coldice54 said:
Sure, not as, but then I can tri-fire. I play Gcard heavy games like Crysis, Battlefield 3, and Metro 2033.


Trifire fire only adds about another 30%
January 10, 2013 10:25:40 PM

+1
samuelspark said:
Trifire fire only adds about another 30%

January 10, 2013 10:26:57 PM

Single GPU is always better and not all games are support crossfire. Why did you buy that CPU?
Coldice54 said:
Sure, not as, but then I can tri-fire. I play Gcard heavy games like Crysis, Battlefield 3, and Metro 2033.

!