Gaming PC for Youtube

themrsomedude456

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
I am a youtuber who makes gaming videos for fun. But 2 weeks ago I was approached by a rather large and popular network and offered me a contract. I have accepted this contract and now I am a lot more serious with the whole youtube thing.

However the PC I have is not very good and I am limited with the games I can play and how often I can upload.

I would like a PC that can play games on High/Ultra setting with playable frame rate and that renders videos within a reasonable amount of time.

I am not an expert when it comes to picking parts for a PC but this is what I have so far.

Intel core i7 3770K (probably gonna over clock)
GTX 670 (probably gonna overclock too)
Some sort of 27 inch monitor preferably under £300

And the rest i'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to fill out this form, some definite information about the proposed rig will lead to a solution much faster.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice

What your looking for is basically an editing rig with a decent graphics card thrown in. Though since your recording gameplay there will be a bit more of an emphasis placed on your storage setup, as recording 1080p footage at a decent FPS is very drive intensive activity.

Its quite late where I am, so feedback will be a bit brief for now.

- H77 board and a k series processor, wont be able to overclock. Need a Z77 board.
- You'v got the storage part down. Seagate Barracuda's can often be found cheaper than WD Blacks.
- While the RAM's frequency is high, the slower timings on it will mean that there will be nil performance difference for quite a bit more cash. Just get standard 1600Mhz CL9 1.5v RAM. I recommend a G.Skill Ares or Corsair Vengeance Low Profile kit.
- EVGA cards use reference design cooling, which runs hotter and louder than custom designs. Would go for the Gigabyte, ASUS or MSI model of the 670.
- 850W is overkill for the rig, 650W will do you fine. If you intend to SLI another 670 in later on, get a 750W. Also there is little difference between a Gold and Bronze efficiency, might not be worth paying for.
- Good pick on the case.

quas

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2012
If you play lots of games and make lots of videos, you might want SSD too. Speeds up loading game levels and video processing.

themrsomedude456

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013

I was planning to RAID 0 the two 1TB drives and record to them using fraps and I would use the rest for storage.

plankingdom

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Wouldn't a single 2TB drive be cheaper than 2 single drives?
I understand raid 0 gives performance, but I'm not aware of it being a substantial amount of saved time. Save your initial video on your SSD then copy everything to your storage after upload when you have down time.

Also, I do a lot of editing myself. If your anything like me you keep a backup of the master file, and the edited file. If you want to record everything in 720 or 1080 than your going to need a LOT of storage. 30 min 1080 video for me is ~75gigs for everything (unedited video, edited video and audio). It may not seem like a lot, but that's 1/13 of one drive (counting at full TB which never happens think 930ish gigs).
I don't know how long your videos are, but you may want to think of getting a large drive, or a raidbox.
None of this is mandatory, but it may be something to consider for the future.