Sign in with
Your question

Opinons on Newbie cheap AMD gaming rig please?

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2013 6:13:04 PM

Hi all,
I'm looking to build myself a cheap AMD gaming rig (first time builder! :ouch:  )

This is the list of components I'm going for so far:
http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/145407

I've checked that the MoBo, memory and processor are all compatible and all looks OK.

If anyone has any thoughts / opinions / suggestions to the existing list it would be much appreciated. If there's anything you think I may have missed in the compatibility front could you also please let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Sam
February 18, 2013 7:14:09 PM

1. Get 2x8GB of RAM instead of 4x4GB cause that will leave 2 slots open for the future.
2. You don't need thermal paste because the stock cooler come with pre applied thermal paster.
3. Don't get that PSU, get a PSU from PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, XFX, or Corsair.
4. Get 1866MHz RAM if it's in your budget because you will see a big performance boost from the faster speed.
5. And Just to make sure, you are getting a Micro-ATX motherboard, which means you won't have much of an upgradability factor, though with the APU that will probably be fine.
6. The 3rd Gen APU's have been announced for release in a few months so if you don't have the money for the build right now you might want to wait for those to come out.
February 18, 2013 7:23:24 PM

-I hope you are planning on crossfiring that graphics card with the gpu on the cpu, otherwise it would be a waste.
-You wont need 16gb, drop that down to 8gb and get faster ram. Faster ram makes a big difference for the on chip gpu.
-I don't see a hard drive, case, power supply, or cd drive listed
-You wont need the thermal paste if you are using the stock heatsink, but I would recommend an aftermarket one. The stock ones are terrible.
Related resources
February 18, 2013 7:38:59 PM

1- A10 5800K does not crossfire with 7750 so buy a Phenom II instead
2- Buy AS rock mobo. that would save you lot of money
3- 8 GB RAM is enough for a gaming rig.

4- Put all the saved money together and buy a 7770 instead of 7750
February 18, 2013 7:51:13 PM

sanilmahambre said:
1- A10 5800K does not crossfire with 7750 so buy a Phenom II instead
2- Buy AS rock mobo. that would save you lot of money
3- 8 GB RAM is enough for a gaming rig.

4- Put all the saved money together and buy a 7770 instead of 7750

Yeah, your right. I just looked it up and it wont crossfire with anything over 6670. In that case just drop the graphics card. With his current build minus the graphics card, he can get for maybe a little over $450. If he goes phenom II and a graphics card, he will get a lot better performance, but he will have to pick a new motherboard and he will pay over $600 for a full build. I guess it depends on what his limit is for a "budget" machine is.
February 19, 2013 10:56:03 AM

Dear all,
Brilliant advice, thanks very much for all of your input - it's much appreciated ;)  .

So it sounds like there's some common thoughts / recommendations coming from you, i.e:

1. Replace the 4 x 4Gb @ 1600Mhz on my list with 2 x 8Gb @ 1866MHz (good for future expansion and better performance now).

2. Don't bother with the HD7750 as it won't crossfire with the A10-5800K so a waste of the onboard GPU. Do you think I would be better to replace the 7750 with something like an HD6570 so I can then crossfire OK? (e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/265343-sapphire-hd-6570-2gb-ddr3-...)
Or do you think I would be better to just use the onboard GPU and spend the £50 on upgrading other bits?

3. Don't use the Powercool PSU but instead go for one by PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, XFX, or Corsair.

4. Don't need the thermal paste and don't use the stock cooler that comes with the processor. So need to add an aftermarket one, any recommendations? Maybe?: http://www.ebuyer.com/368865-glacialtech-igloo-5761-u-p...

Thanks again for all of your help / advice,
Sam
February 19, 2013 4:15:33 PM

Sorry, that should have read "1. Replace the 4 x 4Gb @ 1600Mhz on my list with 2 x 4Gb @ 1866MHz..."

Thanks,
Sam

p.s. To answer a previous question, I'm using an existing Seagate 500Gb h/drive (sorry can't remember the part no) and an existing case for this build.
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
February 19, 2013 5:30:55 PM

16 gig of RAM wont improve performance anywhere ... other than 64 bit editing programs
Do not waste money on that much RAM
Use it to buy a better core system
February 19, 2013 8:52:43 PM

-That heatsink that you linked looks a little weak. It probably isn't much better than stock. As long as you can fit it in the case, get something like Cooler Master Hyper 212.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(I know you probably can't buy from newegg, so it's up to you to find a retailer)

-Don't bother with a graphics card for now. See how the on-chip gpu does. If it's not enough for you, get a 6670 or similar to crossfire with it.

-Use the money you saved on a graphics card to buy a 128GB ssd to install your OS and apps to. It will make a huge difference over standard disk drives.

- Stick to 2x4gb ram. You will never use more than 8gb. If you want to spend the money, buy 2100 instead of 1866. Sometimes they cost the same amount.

-Get a PSU that has all of the connections that you need (up to you to figure that out) and has generally positive reviews. Reviews are important. Sometimes good manufacturers make bad PSU models.
!