Opinions on which graphic card to go for

kylemm

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my gaming rig. I have been slobbering over my friends triple monitor system for a while and am thinking of dojnt it myself. I have been doing research and keep reading conflicting ideas. I like Asus cards a lot, but I am not against any other brand if their is a good reason. I was hoping to get away with a single card solution so I don't have to upgrade the power supply. I have two Dell 27 monitors and will be adding a third. All are 1080p. I have the Asus gtx 680, Asus matrix 7970, and the standard Asus 7970 in mind. I'm just looking for the best solutions and opinions and hopefully why you have the opinion you have. I have only had experience with nvidia but I am not against going amd.

I appreciate any opinions or ideas on this subject. Can't seem to find a definitive answer andal are similar in price. Thanks for the help guys.

Current setup:
I5 3570k overclocked
Asus p8z77v-lk
Galaxy gtx 660ti
Corsair 650w power supply.

kylemm

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I have thought about that as a option as well. I heard sometime 2nd quarter probably? Wojmd it be better to wait for 2012 to go on sale and grab one of them? Or is the new series going to be worth the full price?

EzioAs

Distinguished
CPU is fine. If you're hoping to game on 3x1080p, I recommend the 7970 (The extra VRAM will come in handy) or possibly 2 to get good image quality and framerates.

If you're not gaming at 3 screens, keep your 660ti.

kylemm

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I'm happy with the 660ti right now but I think I am going to go for triple monitors. So you think the extra gig of ram will come into play at that high of res

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

If you can wait it out i would or even catch the 670 on sale if the gtx 770 doesnt meet your standards either way its a win win situation but buying a gpu knowing the new series is coming out would be buyers remorse writing all over it..

kylemm

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking. My main thing is just having a one card solution. I'll probably wait and see if the new cards are worth it or if the sale price for the 600 are good. Is the 680 or 7970 going to be enough juice for triple monitors?

mohit9206

Distinguished
no point in playing the waiting game get what you need now as the new cards are going to be expensive and overrpriced at launch anyway.
why not get the amd radeon 7950 flex edition card for 300 bucks as it specially made for multi monitor gaming.
trade in your current 660ti as it still holds a very good value. its value will become very less once new cards launch . so you will be saving a lot of money now

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I agree and disagree Yes someone could get a gpu now and be fully happy with it but with 300 you can wait and save a extra 100 and get something better with a new card and be fully up todate. Im not saying the current gen cards are bad because they tight but at the same time some people including me wants to step it up

EzioAs

Distinguished
It depends on how long one can wait, it's all about patience. To me, if a new product won't come around 3 months later, it's pointless to wait and it's better to buy it now. To feel even more satisfied and to see something more beneficial, upgrade to something that performs around 60% better. That's why Tom's Hardware recommend people upgrade to something 3 tiers higher based on their graphics card hierarchy

kylemm

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
That is probably good advice. I'll wait a little and see if anymore news about the new cards come out. From my understanding its only going to be around a 5-10 percent boost. It doesn't seem like I'll be too in luck if I just want to do a single card