Solved

Help building 1st computer

I am looking for help building my 1st computer. I plan on using it for gaming and school stuff. I'd like to be able to play games like lfd2, bf3, TF2 etc... I saw this rig on YouTube, changed a couple things and was wondering if the parts are still compatible and will be able to run those types of games. I'm not looking to spend a lot and any advice would be great because I've never built a computer before. Also, I plan on using my tv as a monitor for now to keep the cost below about $700

Here's what I have:
-CPU:Intel Pentium G850, Socket 1155, Dual Core, 2.90GHz
or Intel core i5 3550 quad core (preferably not to save $)
-GPU:1GB XFX Radeon HD 7770
or SAPPHIRE Radeon 7770 oc
-MoBo:MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Motherboard
-PSU:Corsair cx 430w 80 plus bronze
-CPU cooler:Cooler master hyper 212 plus CPU cooler
-Memory:Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
-Storage:500GB Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm
-Case:Fractal Design Core 1000
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help building computer
  1. First thing that came to mind after seeing your specs is a bigger PSU. The Radeon 7770 requires a minimum of 450 watts. Now its possible the Corsair 430 watt may cut it depending on how good it actually is, which I haven't checked but... You're taking a chance and PSU's degrade over time, plus you're leaving no room for any sort of upgrade. I'd recommend at least a 500 watt PSU. Corsair is a solid brand though. Another one I like is Antec.
  2. Thanks, I'll go with a 500w PSU. Any other tips?
  3. Kindredsouls said:
    First thing that came to mind after seeing your specs is a bigger PSU. The Radeon 7770 requires a minimum of 450 watts. Now its possible the Corsair 430 watt may cut it depending on how good it actually is, which I haven't checked but... You're taking a chance and PSU's degrade over time, plus you're leaving no room for any sort of upgrade. I'd recommend at least a 500 watt PSU. Corsair is a solid brand though. Another one I like is Antec.

Will the CPU and graphics card be able to handle games like those with a decent frame rate?
  4. The corsair 430 will be fine .
    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

and definitely enough amperage on the 12 volt rail to run even a 7850
  5. Kindredsouls said:
    First thing that came to mind after seeing your specs is a bigger PSU. The Radeon 7770 requires a minimum of 450 watts. Now its possible the Corsair 430 watt may cut it depending on how good it actually is, which I haven't checked but... You're taking a chance and PSU's degrade over time, plus you're leaving no room for any sort of upgrade. I'd recommend at least a 500 watt PSU. Corsair is a solid brand though. Another one I like is Antec.

The CX430 will easily support the 7770. You do not need to change PSU's.

What NVIDIA/AMD lists as the minimum wattage for a PSU to supoprt a video card is to ensure very poorly designed PSU's can still handle the card.

What's far more important to a gaming system than total wattage is the amps on the +12v rail. @28a, the CX430 has a strong 12v rail and can support even more power-hungry cards than the 7770, with headroom to spare.

Your system with a G850 & 7770 will barely draw 220w under absolute maximum load.

cheers!
  6. soldier17live said:
    Will the CPU and graphics card be able to handle games like those with a decent frame rate?

At what resolution will you be playing them?
  7. quilciri said:
    At what resolution will you be playing them?

I plan to use medium settings and use my 1080p tv; I'm getting a monitor later but don't really know what yet. Do you think that this build can handle those games at that res. w/ those settings?
  8. A G850/7770 combo will push 30-45 fps @1080p med settings in the more demanding games such as BF3. For a first person shooter on a PC, you'll want to be closer to 60 FPS, which is easily achievable on a $700 budget.

First thing, though: Do you need to buy an operating system?
  9. quilciri said:
    A G850/7770 combo will push 30-45 fps @1080p med settings in the more demanding games such as BF3. For a FPS on a PC, you'll want to be closer to 60 FPS, which is easily achievable on a $700 budget.

First thing, though: Do you need to buy an operating system?

Yea, I thought I'd go with windows 7 premium 64-bit
    What would you recommend I change to get a higher frame rate?
  10. Best answer
    Both the CPU and the GPU could use a bump. Take a peek at the $600 buld in my sig as a starting point. It's a bit over $600 due to price fluctuations, but an OS added on would put you right at $700. That rig would easily hit the 60FPS mark in BF3 @1080p med settings. Any less demanding game you'll be able to max out @60fps.
  11. quilciri said:
    Both the CPU and the GPU could use a bump. Take a peek at the $600 buld in my sig as a starting point. It's a bit over $600 due to price fluctuations, but an OS added on would put you right at $700. That rig would easily hit the 60FPS mark in BF3 @1080p med settings. Any less demanding game you'll be able to max out @60fps.

Cool, that build looks awesome and I love the case too. Should I get a CPU cooler or will the standard provided w/ the processor be enough?
  12. quilciri said:

Cool, that build looks awesome and I love the case too. Should I get a CPU cooler or will the standard provided w/ the processor be enough?
  13. quilciri said:

14. Heh, was about to suggest the tahiti 7870 card instead that newegg was running a tomshardware promo on, but just noticed they're sold out.
  15. soldier17live said:

The boxed intel cooler is good for the 3470.
  16. quilciri said:
    The boxed intel cooler is good for the 3470.

Thanks for everything, your help is greatly appreciated and I'll go with the rig you suggested.
  17. Best answer selected by Soldier17live.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computers Systems