Not open for further replies.

crapfacednoob

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Current GPU and Power Supply
Zotac GTX 460 SE 1G with 460W psu

CPU: i5 760 2.8GHz
Mobo: P7P55D Deluxe
Memory: Kingston 4GB (No idea about its clock speeds)
CPU cooler: Cooler master 412s

Preferred website for parts Newegg

OverclockingNo
SLI or Crossfire SLI

Monitor resolution 1920x1080

I wanted to have two GTX 680s in SLI but I don't know if my other parts will bottleneck the performance. So I want to ask is there anything I need to replace or buy?

Solution
D
A single GTX 670 or HD 7950 level card is what you are looking for. Even that will need you to either overclock the CPU or upgrade the CPU/motherboard.

^ These guys don't seem to understand you have an LGA 1156 CPU that will not work in the LGA 1155 boards they are recommending. Since you are considering over $1000 just for 2 x GTX 680s a new CPU and board may be something you are interested in.

You will also need a new power supply even for a single GTX 670/HD 7950. I sure don't know of any quality 460w models.

So, to just add a single card you need the card and a power supply and to overclock the CPU at least if you want the most out of that card.

For 2 x high end cards it's new system time.

8GB of RAM would not hurt but for just...

Xttony

Distinguished
You are good with that setup but I'll recommend you get another 4GB stick of ram(same frequency and latency)
You should change your motherboard to a better board like ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
You need to have a power supply of 700watts run this setup but you can get a 800watts one just to be futureproof.
Two HD 7970 GHz Edition cards in crossfire is better than two 680 at SLI http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/585?vs=588 (the link here uses a normal hd 7970 not a GHz Edition card which is faster)
Your processor is ok but consider to upgrade whenever you can.

Honestly I think two 680 cards is too much for your specs with one 1080p monitor.

2 680 in sli would be an overkill for 1080p...consider upgrading your monitor and the mainboard.
the mainboard is infact must be upgraded to a better one. Look for 1 pci-e 3 x16 slot and a x8 slot atleast.that will give you the full benefit of the 680s in sli.

D

Deleted member 217926

A single GTX 670 or HD 7950 level card is what you are looking for. Even that will need you to either overclock the CPU or upgrade the CPU/motherboard.

^ These guys don't seem to understand you have an LGA 1156 CPU that will not work in the LGA 1155 boards they are recommending. Since you are considering over $1000 just for 2 x GTX 680s a new CPU and board may be something you are interested in.

You will also need a new power supply even for a single GTX 670/HD 7950. I sure don't know of any quality 460w models.

So, to just add a single card you need the card and a power supply and to overclock the CPU at least if you want the most out of that card.

For 2 x high end cards it's new system time.

8GB of RAM would not hurt but for just a gaming machine 4GB is sufficient most of the time.

Solution

mohit9206

Distinguished
first of all i would not advice going for an sli setup for a 1080p display at all.
all you really need at that resolution to max games out is a 670. also you need a better psu even for a 670 as it most likely does not have the required connectors. so my choice is a SINGLE 670

arcticle

Jul 29, 2012
I agree. All you really need is a single GTX 670 for 1080p. Spend the extra $650 that you are saving on a 700w power supply (800w if you want to futureproof your system), and a new motherboard and CPU. I suggest a 3570K with an ASRock Z77 Extreme4. With this setup, you should get 60-100 FPS in nearly every game easy.

If you do not upgrade your motherboard and CPU to new ones that support PCI-E X16, you will NEVER be able to fully utilize ANY modern graphics card. They will ALL underperform.

Status
Not open for further replies.