My new build- airflow between gpus

BoracusGrim

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EmSG

this is my proposed setup, used mainly for graphic design but also for gaming

I'm just worried about the airflow between the graphics cards and am unsure if any issues will come of it. they are rather big cards. my chassis states that it is built to have airflow go exactly there but it doesn't quite put my mind at ease.

also any other issues/ suggestions you have with my build would also be very appreciated.
ps. yes i did go over budget and i think eating ramen for a year will be worth it :lol:

Thx in advance :na:

Solution
We have very similar builds , but I have two 680's and not three and the case that you listed is very good at airflow. I have the same case and it comes with several options for the video cards.
First there is a giant 200mm fan in the side panel which includes a shroud to focus the airflow directly onto the video cards.
Second there is n optional video card shroud that fits over the back ends of the video cards and inside you can mount a 120mm or 140mm fan that with the aid of the shroud blows directly onto the ends of the cards.
Third there is a bracket that can be mounted and houses a 80mm fan but with having three cards I doubt that you will get any benefit from this bracket.

I fully understand your concerns about heat and with...
We have very similar builds , but I have two 680's and not three and the case that you listed is very good at airflow. I have the same case and it comes with several options for the video cards.
First there is a giant 200mm fan in the side panel which includes a shroud to focus the airflow directly onto the video cards.
Second there is n optional video card shroud that fits over the back ends of the video cards and inside you can mount a 120mm or 140mm fan that with the aid of the shroud blows directly onto the ends of the cards.
Third there is a bracket that can be mounted and houses a 80mm fan but with having three cards I doubt that you will get any benefit from this bracket.

I fully understand your concerns about heat and with three video cards it can be tight for air flow. At one time I had three GTX 580's and my solution for the heat issue was water cooling. With a water block placed directly on the card there is never any issue with heat. I've never seen any card go over 50c and that includes 480's , 580's and the current 680's. Water cooling isn't cheap and may not be an option for you so the HAF-X case will do well for air flow and keep the video cards at a reasonable temp.

Solution
First of all, unless you are gaming on three screens, triple or even double SLI is totally unnecessary. With tri SLI you should expect temps in the 80s and 90s under full load, even with good case airflow. You will need a side intake fan blowing directly on the gpus. It will be loud with stock cooling and use a ton of power too. Then there are the drivers, which can be an issue. If your main intent is to do graphic design (and if you plan on making money doing it, you want stability), I would stick with one card as it will game great too. If it isn't powerful enough, you can always add a second card later.

BoracusGrim

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
switched to the seasonic platinum-1000
i will be using 3 screens
unfortunately it seem while the titan is powerful it may end up costing the same for one as it does my 3.
i will try to keep my cards as cool as possible and unless i end up going with liquid cooling which as stated might not be possible with my chassis, i will not OC them
thx for all the helpful response this site has been very helpful in building this pc :)