Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Assorted questions on a new build.

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2013 7:36:10 PM

I am planning on building a 'around $1,000' build, and I am a little stuck on a few of the parts. I'll post a quick summery of what I know I am getting.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 3GB Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Keyboard: Microsoft Keyboard 200 Wired Standard Keyboard
HDMI Cable

(I have a small tv for a moniter, a high end mouse, and a 931GB free agent drive for storage already)

Now, my problems are with the motherboard, case, a question about the OS.

Now I have been looking at case for a while and these are the ones that have stood out for me.

Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black)
NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/White)
Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl)
Inwin Dragon Slayer
Rosewill ARMOR-EVO

I would like the case to have a definite style. (even if that style is not being flashy like the fractal design) I would like to have front USB 3.0 ports and good cooling. (which the scout fails at in stock mode so I will have to be more fans for it increasing the cost) Weight and size are not an issue. I don't plan on going to any LAN parties or moving it a hole lot. Just lugging it to college and back. Now, do I need to get a mid-full tower if I want the maximum expandibility/cooling and eventually using it in another build? (hopefully after five years of this one).
I want the case to be around $100, though I would be fine with a $120 case ($130 is pushing it, but if it is worth it, I could see me paying that)

Now I also need a mother board and I don't know what to get. They all kinda seem the same to me besides being 16gb capabile, or 32gb. I am looking at buying the ASRock H77M (which is why I looked at the dragon slayer which has the coolest name for a computer part) and anything around its $70 price range is what I am looking for. I don't really know what to look for in a mother board (besides five eggs).

Now I also want to cut the cost of my OS and was wondering if it would be cheaper to use a flash drive to install it instead of getting the disk.

Best solution

February 18, 2013 7:55:17 PM

get this instead.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Enx0

hard drive. get it today. its a one day sale
http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=74462&vpn=WD1...

CPU if you are not going to use intergrated
http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=75435&vpn=BX8...

ram
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74758&promoid=1321

video card. out of stock at the moment but has a promo code that brings down the price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

-no need for 16gb of ram if you are not editing things
-you dont need that much wattage
-evga cards will run hotter than what other aftermarket solutions offer
Related resources
February 18, 2013 8:12:15 PM

Quote:
HDMI Cable

(I have a small tv for a moniter, a high end mouse, and a 931GB free agent drive for storage already)

HDMI cables and things of that nature should not be included in your budget. If you need a cable you should not spend more than $10 for one. Check monoprice.com - they have a good selection and their cables are usually less than $5 a piece.

Quote:

Now I have been looking at case for a while and these are the ones that have stood out for me.

Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black)
NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/White)
Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl)
Inwin Dragon Slayer
Rosewill ARMOR-EVO

I'd personally go for the Phantom 410 or the Define R4. Inwin cases aren't that great from my experience.
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:14:10 PM

i hope you have not considered monster cable as a brand for HDMI cables
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:20:59 PM

TheBigTroll said:
i hope you have not considered monster cable as a brand for HDMI cables

No one should! :lol: 
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:38:55 PM

@ThebigTroll
I think I'll get that SSD in you PCPartbuild and look into getting that other video card.

I don't plan on buying till at least after the summer because I am getting a summer job to help pay for this. This means I won't be looking into deals on the short term. (I meant to put that in the first post, but I forgot)

Even I (tweedledumb) know better than buying HDMI cables at $30 bucks a pop. I just put them down as a $7 investment including shipping so I have them in my price.

I have a question about the R4. It seems that it was designed mainly for quietness. Does this effect the air flow of the inside that much? Will I need to be an extra fan for It? Is that optional window worth it? (probably not)
m
l
February 18, 2013 11:36:45 PM

well if you are building in the summer, ask in the summer. my recommendations do change week to week

the R4 is for quietness. i just suggest whichever r4 is cheaper. with or without a window. they are about the same
m
l
February 19, 2013 12:33:10 AM

Best answer selected by Davian_Thule.
m
l
!