ASUS M2A-VM HDMI cpu fan not spinning no boot

So I have had this old PC minus the case/ps sitting around for a year or so (packed in anti-static bags). It was in working order previously, but then I took it apart to ship when moving overseas. I finally got round to getting a power supply and case and tried to get the thing up and running.

When connecting all the wires up, I initially missed out the 4-pin ATX 12V power connection. When I tried to boot I got the LED on and fans spinning but no sounds, no boot.

I went back to the manual and saw the missing 4-pin ATX. Unfortunately my new PS only has 6/8 pin cables. I found it stated in several forums that you can split the 8 pin cable to supply a 4-pin socket. The first 4 pins fit fine and appear well seated, but now when I try to boot I get led but no fan and no boot.

Do I need to get a molex to 4-pin adapter or does this indicate some other problem?
4 answers Last reply
More about asus hdmi spinning boot
  1. Which power supply and motherboard do you have?
    It seems very odd that if you have an ATX 12V connector (pretty standard) on the motherboard, you have a PSU without one as most have that connector.
  2. The mobo is an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI. I gave away the old case/power supply when I moved. I just grabbed a cheap case and a corsair VS450 ATX power supply, didn't think to check the cables when buying. I think it is just that 4 pin is old. Most new mobos have 6 or 8 pin so new power supply doesn't match.
    Whole thing is home built. I actually had to switch out the power supply once before as it got fried. I seem to remember an adapter, I guess it got lost during the move.
  3. Actually, your question helped me solve this. Basically an I/O error http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/basic/smileyvault-slaphead.gif
    I went back and looked at the PS box and realized that 8-pin ATX12V connector and 6/8-pin PCI-E connector are 2 different things. I had been connecting the PCI-E cable. Connected the first 4 pins of 8-pin ATX12V cable and all is working. Booted successfully, so the old girl has survived a long journey ! :D
  4. Glad you figured it out!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Boot Systems