Ultra in 1366x768 or high in 1920x1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello all,

I want to upgrade my monitor and GPU next month. Currently i gaming in 1366x768 resolution use HD4850 with acceptable fps in medium setting. If i upgrade my monitor to bigger resolution (1080p), of course my 4850 can't afford playable fps, even with medium setting (i think so..). But, with a tight budget i can't buy 1080p monitor together with powerful card like 660 ti. So, which one will be better, i buy a great card like 660 ti and play it with ultra setting in my current monitor, or buy 1080p monitor and 7850 to play in maybe high setting? Which one will make a bigger difference to eye, ultra quality or higher resolution?

And yeah, i did research before asking, but video in youtube not show me a real difference with 720p and 1080p gaming (maybe because the quality of youtube video are limited?). So please, which one that you think will make a great quality to eye?

Thanks if you want to help :)..

Solution

There are many factors that will effect your experience. Generally going from a 15" 720p monitor to a 27" 1080p monitor would not prove any better except a bigger screen. Of course the higher resolution and size will play a significant part but it is also important that you buy a monitor which has more pixel density than your previous monitor to enhance your experience.
Also if you are one of those who want a...
I would go with the 1080 + 7850 idea. I went from 1280x1024 to 1080 and it was a really nice upgrade (using a 6670 I had to turn down a setting or two to get the same framerates). I also have used a 1366x768 res monitor and I find them completely unusable for anything other than word browsing. I start getting claustrophobic with them.

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
xttony : you really can play game in 25-30fps? I just don't think its playable if the fps below 35. And, did you ever use medium setting with that card to play BF3 in your 1080p monitor? How much fps you got?

samuel : if you overclocking 7850, will it be better than gtx 660?

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
mouse24 : so the feeling when gaming with a bigger resolution is that really enjoyable? How much the quality difference with 1366x768 and 1080p in gaming? I really want to see picture or video that showing the difference, but youtube make the video couldn't show the difference (maybe because the quality of video is limited..)

Xttony

Distinguished

A good blueray or hd movie is of about 30fps. I don't think that you have any problems with that right :D
When you get the monitor just try that out with the HD4850, I completed crysis 2 and BF3 with more than 30fps.

Xttony

Distinguished

There are many factors that will effect your experience. Generally going from a 15" 720p monitor to a 27" 1080p monitor would not prove any better except a bigger screen. Of course the higher resolution and size will play a significant part but it is also important that you buy a monitor which has more pixel density than your previous monitor to enhance your experience.
Also if you are one of those who want a game to run at 70-80fps then you should go for a screen with 120hz refresh rate.

Solution

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
DarkSable : wow, seems like better monitor will make bigger quality to eye. Hmm.

Xttony : I'll try with my 4850 if i got the monitor. If i can play game use medium setting in good playable fps with this 4850, maybe i'll just buy monitor and save to get a better card rather than buy 7850 now.

Everyone suggest to get a better monitor rather than more powerful card. Now i want to choose a good monitor. Which one the good size for 1080p, 21.5", 23", or else? But i think gaming with too big monitor is bad (it is true?) for eye normal distance from desk to monitor, because my view area will be limited only to the center of the screen

Xttony

Distinguished
22" and 23" are good for that resolution. If you are planning to get a 27" then you might wanna get a 1440p monitor which will be the one that kills your HD 4850.
When you are browsing for monitors check for these settings
Response time - lower is better
Refresh rate - higher is better (although getting more than 60Hz is useless until you want the games to run at more than 60fps obviously you'll need a powerful card for that)
Brightness - higher is better
Contrast ratio - higher is better
High viewing angles - higher is better

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
thank you xttony :D. Those anwer very helpful. And i'm not hardcore gamer that playing with 120 refresh rate, lol. Even 40 fps is good enough for me :D (that should be enough for 60hz monitor).

thank you all :D. I think i'll buy monitor and try use my 4850 while saving to buy a better card.

Xttony

Distinguished

You'll get a more sharper image in 1080p and as far as a video is concerned you won't be able to feel the difference as you are currently using a 1366x768 monitor (video quality is also governed by bitrate so if a lower resolution video has higher bitrate then the video will look a lot better than a low bitrate 1080p video)
Why don't you go to a local shop to check the monitors out you don't need a game running to admire the beauty of 1080p.

I would also suggest checking around in shops. I would also ask them if they could hook up a pc to a monitor you are particularly interested in testing out, sometimes they will. I wouldn't base anything just going on manufacturer specs alone. Monitors are quite possibly the biggest target of invalid, untrue, and irrelevant specifications in this industry. There are far more things that go into whether a monitor has motion blur or input lag than simply contrast ration and response times, sadly the manufacturer never tells us anything else about the monitor than those specs. Heck even then they out right just make things up on the spot, such as dynamic contrast ratio, don't base anything off of DCR, heck just a few days ago I saw a monitor that had "SUPER MEGA INFINITY DCR". Nope, not even kidding.

So moral of the story is, don't base anything off of specifications alone, go see it in person if possible.

Xttony

Distinguished

Yeah and many monitors have a bluefish or reddish hue that you cannot adjust in settings which can make the experience quire annoying to some people.

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
wow, thanks all for the answer :D.

Can you suggest me what kind of budget monitor for gaming that 1080p and 23"? I look at the asus and acer, they have very great review from user in newegg. And in my country, monitors are overprice, one in the newegg that price for $189 in my country is similar like $220. Sigh :(..

Status
Not open for further replies.