Inspiron 530 worth an upgrading?

Venzen007

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hello;

I have a DELL inspiron 530 which I purchased in 2007. I recently bought a new computer for home, and took this one to the office where I need to (hopefully) upgrade it to run ARAS 360 HD, an CSI animation software.

The motherboard is Foxconn is a G33M02. The power supply is 300w max. I think it's got an Intel "E6550, 2.33 GHz, 4MB Core Duo", from what I'm able to make out from the original spec sheet. It's not plugged in atm.

Assuming the computer still works fine, which it does, is it worth upgrading it?

ARAS 360 HD System Requirements from their site is as follows:

Intel Core i5/i7 series processor or equivalent
Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Higher-end NVidia or ATI Dedicated Graphics Card. For Example:
Mobility Radeon HD 5700/6700/7700 +
GeForce GT 435M/540M/630M +
Intel and other onboard/integrated graphics cards are absolutely not supported and will not
work.
** When in doubt about a graphics card/computer please contact Tech Support at ARAS 360
before making a purchase.
4GB System RAM or higher
10GB+ HDD space available or higher
XVID Codec (installed by ARAS 360)
DirectX 9c and Microsoft XNA 4
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Solution

Unfortunately, your situation is even worse, you cannot upgrade to quad, since you Dell came with dual - this is a Dell thing, Inspiron 530 was sold with 2 MOBOs yours and G33M03, this one is for quads and dual CPUs, so the answer is NO. You can keep it as spare PC in case if your other one get into troubles and you will need Internet connection, that is all.

corbeau

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
It doesn't look like it. At best your motherboard will support a core2quad, so to meet the minimum cpu requirement you'll need a new motherboard. You'll also need a better power supply to support a new graphics card, at least 400w depending on the gpu you choose. The only part that is likely to be usable off your old system is the hard drive.

Unfortunately, your situation is even worse, you cannot upgrade to quad, since you Dell came with dual - this is a Dell thing, Inspiron 530 was sold with 2 MOBOs yours and G33M03, this one is for quads and dual CPUs, so the answer is NO. You can keep it as spare PC in case if your other one get into troubles and you will need Internet connection, that is all.

Solution