Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Black-screening (sometimes) while gaming

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2013 9:58:34 PM

So as the thread title states, once in a while (relatively rarely), my PC will just crash to a black screen and shut itself down. I can either reset the power supply on the back of the PC and restart it, or I can hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it reboots itself.
Here's a list of parts in my rig.

MoBo- ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

CPU- AMD FX-8350 (Stock clocked with turbo boost disabled)

RAM- 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 Mhz G-Skill DDR3

GPU's- 2x XFX 6870 Black Edition's (Factory overclocked)

SSD- Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB

HDD- WD 1 TB 7200 RPM

CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14 Push/Pull Air Cooler

Power Supply (The culprit I'm leaning towards) 1000 watt Thermaltake TR2 TRX1000M

5 Case fans, 4 of which are 200mm and one is a 140mm I believe.

So, my trouble is the PC is dying randomly. I've got 4 monitors and keep the extended desktop with MSI afterburner and coretemp up to see the temps of CPU/GPU's. GPU's never get above 70C (I use MSI afterburner for a custom fan profile), and the CPU has never gotten above 40C while gaming. Recently, I ran Fur Mark and Prime95 at the same time and my temps were 49C on the CPU and 73C for the GPU's. The odd thing is, it failed the first 15-minute run through and the PC died like it does sometimes while gaming. Upon reboot, I restarted the test and it went through the entire thing without issue.

I have a ticket into thermaltake inquiring which connectors go to which 12v rail. This PSU has 2 rails and they are both rated at 50 amps. Each GPU uses up to 15 amps, while the CPU can use up to 25. This PSU is also not supposed to power down until around ~65 amps on a single rail.

So, if you read all of this, any opinion on if I missed anything else that could be causing this other than the PSU? Thanks for the reply in advance.

Best solution

February 20, 2013 10:13:40 PM

Same problem. I get the same blackscreen each time my GPU temp crosses 70-71ish
March 16, 2013 12:43:54 AM

Well it actually had nothing to do with my power supply or video cards. My ram was unstable at stock freq's... Long story. Anyway, after running memtest for 8 hours straight it detected the error. After further troubleshooting I found out that you can't just add 2 ram "kits" together for a total of 4 sticks even if its the same company/part number. Anyway, Took out one of the kits, and it's stable as a rock--even with my 2 new shiny MSI 7970 power editions!
m
l
!