Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

X Gaming Rig Mid Range X

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 18, 2013 10:19:15 PM

Here is the parts that im thinking to get for mostly gaming [ MMO's + FPS + Etc.. ].. Give me some thoughts about the parts and which ones to get as far as cheaper price but not lowering the performance..


Cpu/Mobo deal from Microcenter = i5 3570K / ASRock z77 xtreme4 "Going to OC at some pt."

GPU = Gtx 660 ti 3Gb not sure which brand to get... Ofcourse I want the best! "Going to SLI in the future"

Cooler = Hyper Evo 212 CMaster

Ram = Patriot Viper3 Xtreme Black Mamba or Corsair Vengeance (blue) both 8Gb (Pc 12800) 1600mhz

PSU = Seasonic M12II 620w or Thermaltake SP 850w or Corsair CX 750w All 3 are 80+bronze and Modular

Optical = Samsung or Asus

Hdd = Toshiba 1TB or WD blue caviar 500Gb /1TB

Ssd = Kingston Hyper X 120Gb

Monitor = Asus VN247H-P 23.6" Led 1ms 1920 x 12000

Case = Thermaltake Overseer RX1 + Keyboar and mouse + OS "windows 7 home" [ I have's ]

More about : gaming rig mid range

February 18, 2013 10:50:05 PM

Someone tell me what u think of the build?? And if theres any room for lesser price of the product without downgrading performance! Thanks
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 18, 2013 11:19:56 PM

Hi, if you are not going to buy a GPU this year or next year then you are better off going for a single 670.

Your build is good though.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
February 18, 2013 11:24:25 PM

For a psu get the Seasonic M12II 620w, it will do even for 660ti in SLI, if you want to add another one, it's a quality psu and it's modular.
Get the patriot viper ram(more clearance) and the wd caviar blue 1TB, for the the optical get the cheapest.
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 12:53:32 PM

Hi guys thanks for the replies! Im getting a gpu ofcourse asap with my build and i think im gona stick with gtx660ti and SLI it maybe this year or next, thats why i wana get a good PSU that can run the build + upgrades like SLI.. I have another question, I know im gona OC for sure, but its also ok not to OC right away right?
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 1:06:48 PM

GamerXtreme2013 said:
Hi guys thanks for the replies! Im getting a gpu ofcourse asap with my build and i think im gona stick with gtx660ti and SLI it maybe this year or next, thats why i wana get a good PSU that can run the build + upgrades like SLI.. I have another question, I know im gona OC for sure, but its also ok not to OC right away right?


Like said above, if you aren't going to Sli soon then go 670. Nvidia's 700 series is coming out later this year and will make a 2nd 670 very affordable.
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 1:16:49 PM

On par at 1080p gaming with some games favor Intel and others AMD. A good value alternative!

AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Better than a lot of Z77 motherboards plus upgrade able to the newest AMD CPUs when they arrive!

ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AM3+ platform favors high speed RAM so I would go for it!

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

An alternative 600W 80+ Bronze modular PSU. Enough even for Dual GPUs

CORSAIR CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The most perfomance/$ GPU, 7870 tahity LE. Only about 3% less powerful than a 660ti/7950

SAPPHIRE 100354XTL Radeon HD 7870 XT w/Boost 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That would save you some $ without loosing perfomance


m
0
l
February 19, 2013 6:52:20 PM

nice suggestion michxymi, but im an intel > amd kinda guy and nvidia > radeon.. though its good info for a red team build hehehe. as far as budget ill only have enough for gtx 660ti =(
m
0
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
February 19, 2013 7:10:19 PM

GamerXtreme2013 said:
nice suggestion michxymi, but im an intel > amd kinda guy and nvidia > radeon.. though its good info for a red team build hehehe. as far as budget ill only have enough for gtx 660ti =(


If you've got over $1K to spend on a rig - absolutely no point in going AMD. Your original build looks good but I think I'd switch that SSD - get the Samsung 840 Pro or the OCZ Vector. Or you could drop it and invest in upgrading your GPU, then adding an SSD on later.

Quote:
Better than a lot of Z77 motherboards plus upgrade able to the newest AMD CPUs when they arrive!


But even the fastest AMD is still slower than the slowest Intel CPUs, the benchmarks don't lie.
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 10:13:13 PM

G-unit1111 mr.50cent but if i drop the ssd that means i have to use only 1 hdd for OS and apps, and if it "hopefully not" crashes or something happens to it that would totally suck lol.. but ive been debating on getting a ssd as a matter of fact... what do u think?
m
0
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
February 19, 2013 10:20:23 PM

GamerXtreme2013 said:
G-unit1111 mr.50cent but if i drop the ssd that means i have to use only 1 hdd for OS and apps, and if it "hopefully not" crashes or something happens to it that would totally suck lol.. but ive been debating on getting a ssd as a matter of fact... what do u think?


Yeah that's definitely a tough decision. The thing is you can always add an SSD later on in like a month or so. I've added and changed SSDs on several builds without losing data. Installing Windows on an SSD is a matter of minutes vs. 1 or 2 hours. You may have to configure a few things but that isn't a bad way to go if you ask me.
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 10:24:19 PM

Question for g-unit1111:
When you say skip SSD for now and you can get one later. I just read not long ago that if you have your OS on 1 hard drive wouldn't be a good idea to move it to another one so how is that going to work?
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 1:54:35 AM

Thats why i kinda wana get a ssd asap and maybe i can salvage a toshiba 500Gb hdd out of my old pc if i decided to go this way and i just wont buy a harddrive. btw if i ever decided to go Myst edition 7870 on gpu would that be ok with the build i have?
m
0
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
February 20, 2013 3:49:22 AM

Albkido said:
Question for g-unit1111:
When you say skip SSD for now and you can get one later. I just read not long ago that if you have your OS on 1 hard drive wouldn't be a good idea to move it to another one so how is that going to work?


When you add the new SSD, you disable the main drive in the BIOS (set as low boot priority, with the new boot drive as high priority) and insert your Windows DVD into the main optical drive. Then Windows will detect and install on the new drive and it will be back to normal. You will need to reinstall your programs but that's not that big of a deal. Then when Windows is done installing, delete the Windows folder off the old drive.

Quote:
Thats why i kinda wana get a ssd asap and maybe i can salvage a toshiba 500Gb hdd out of my old pc if i decided to go this way and i just wont buy a harddrive. btw if i ever decided to go Myst edition 7870 on gpu would that be ok with the build i have?


Yeah you can definitely reuse old hard drives no problem.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 9:29:25 AM

g-unit1111 said:
If you've got over $1K to spend on a rig - absolutely no point in going AMD. Your original build looks good but I think I'd switch that SSD - get the Samsung 840 Pro or the OCZ Vector. Or you could drop it and invest in upgrading your GPU, then adding an SSD on later.

Quote:
Better than a lot of Z77 motherboards plus upgrade able to the newest AMD CPUs when they arrive!


But even the fastest AMD is still slower than the slowest Intel CPUs, the benchmarks don't lie.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 2:29:29 PM

Would a 60Gb SSD enough for W7 OS? Its a little cheaper than a 120..
m
0
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
February 20, 2013 3:11:46 PM

GamerXtreme2013 said:
Would a 60Gb SSD enough for W7 OS? Its a little cheaper than a 120..


You have to keep in mind that formatting takes 10% of the drive so after formatting on a 60GB you're left with 54.5GB free. Then the Windows install will take up 20GB plus the swap file. Then you're maybe left with 15GB free after that.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 5:25:48 PM

and what else do i need for that 15gb? is it possible to use my hdd for whatever the next files that i have to put in?? though im leaning more to getting a 120gb i just want to know if it would be sufficient for a 60gb to run my os

m
0
l
February 20, 2013 8:00:02 PM

GamerXtreme2013 said:
and what else do i need for that 15gb? is it possible to use my hdd for whatever the next files that i have to put in?? though im leaning more to getting a 120gb i just want to know if it would be sufficient for a 60gb to run my os


At least get a 90GB SSD for your primary drive. The fuller your SSD gets the slower it becomes.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 287 4 Gaming
February 20, 2013 8:22:49 PM

jupitor45424 said:
At least get a 90GB SSD for your primary drive. The fuller your SSD gets the slower it becomes.


This is correct, which is why I don't recommend <=64GB SSDs. 90GB is OK for OS and main programs but most of those are Sandforce based. Ideally you want a 128GB SSD.
Share
February 20, 2013 8:39:52 PM

So if I build a new rig which I'm about to I can just install windows 7 from the dvd that came with my 3 year old alienware?
edit: I'm not going to continue use the alienware.
m
0
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
February 20, 2013 8:41:54 PM

Albkido said:
So if I build a new rig which I'm about to I can just install windows 7 from the dvd that came with my 3 year old alienware?
edit: I'm not going to continue use the alienware.


You'd have to buy a new license code regardless - that serial number is married to that motherboard.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 8:43:04 PM

Albkido said:
So if I build a new rig which I'm about to I can just install windows 7 from the dvd that came with my 3 year old alienware?
edit: I'm not going to continue use the alienware.


http://lifehacker.com/5793427/how-to-create-a-custom-wi...

^I have done this in the past and you can even download the drivers and updates and put them onto the DVDs you'll be creating.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 10:05:52 PM

g-unit1111 said:
If you've got over $1K to spend on a rig - absolutely no point in going AMD. Your original build looks good but I think I'd switch that SSD - get the Samsung 840 Pro or the OCZ Vector. Or you could drop it and invest in upgrading your GPU, then adding an SSD on later.

Quote:
Better than a lot of Z77 motherboards plus upgrade able to the newest AMD CPUs when they arrive!


But even the fastest AMD is still slower than the slowest Intel CPUs, the benchmarks don't lie.

Try saying that to heavy multi-threaded tasks... benches show the flagship is better then an i7 ib...
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 10:09:08 PM

CheesyHotDogPuff said:
Try saying that to heavy multi-threaded tasks... benches show the flagship is better then an i7 ib...


lmfao. AMDs don't even have dedicated resources to each core. They share resources like logical cores do. Pretty lame. BTW. So me the benchmarks to back up your story.
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 3:40:25 AM

Oh ok i see- i guess im really gona get 120gb ssd! thanks for the replies and suggestions! if i have to drop down my build into 800$ budget can u guys give me suggestions for parts! kinda like same concept on the build that i have....
=) thnxxx
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 6:32:04 AM

Best answer selected by GamerXtreme2013.
m
0
l
!