Drunkagain

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
Ok, I just got Win XP and decided to do a clean install. I partioned and formatted my drive and then installed XP. When i boot up now i get to a screen that asks if I want to start my XP OS or an unidentified OS on drive C. If I do nothing it takes me to Xp in 20 seconds. If I hit the take me to XP option, it loads up and appears to run just fine. If I choose the unidedtified OS on drive C, I get an IO.SYS missing or bad message.

Did I do something wrong when I installed? Is there any way to correct this or should I even care since XP seems to be running just fine? I have a 40 gig drive devided up into three partitions, all using NTFS format. Any help? Thanks.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This sometimes happens when Win2K or WinXP gets temporarily stuck during the installation process, and/or after transferring system files from a FORMAT done with a Win95 boot floppy, the OS "thinks" you have another OS in a different partition.

You should be able to fix it from Control Panel/System/Advanced/Settings (Startup & Recovery). Clear the checkbox that says "Display list of operating systems for XX seconds". Afterwards, the computer should boot normally, without the boot loader appearing after the POST.

It's really more of a minor annoyance than anything else.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Or you can go into msconfig from run. Goto boot.ini tab and you should see a 1 after multi under the [operating systems] part. Change that to 0 and it shouldn't ask you what you want to boot anymore. Or you can just ignore it and it'll be fine.