RX 240 vs Noctua VS Silver Arrow

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
So my current build is running:

2500k at 4.2ghz and cooling this is a lame freezer 7 pro
8Gb DDR3 G. Skillz
GTX 570

I was looking into purchasing an upgraded cpu cooler my only issue is should i drop good money on a high end air cooler OR get an entry level WC loop such as the RS 240 or the much thicker rad on the RX 240 model.

Which would serve higher performance to budget ? Not looking to spend above $200

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It depends on what you are looking for. You aren't going to see a significant difference in CPU temps, most modern chips run fairly cool until you get to high overclocks. If you are considering watercooling, either kit is a good consideration for a beginner, RX is better performing. I'd love to steer you towards watercooling but I feel that for what you are wanting, a good air cooler would serve it's purpose for you, or even a Corsair unit (I can't believe I just said that).

Again, it really depends on what you are looking for- in the CPU cooling segment, watercooling is more novelty and hobby than actual 'need'. I would argue that GPU watercooling has merit due to the heat loads created, but that is another discussion outside your question.

Noctua NH-D14 will easily give additional overclocking headroom of your 2500K to 4500mhz or 4600mhz, it will also accept replacement cooling fans later on, if you so desire, I recommend 2 Scythe Slip Stream 120mm for a little more performance cooling edge.

The water cooling option will not out perform the Noctua from my own personal experiences with my 2500K, and according to Frosty Tech the Silver Arrow doesn't make getting into the top ten coolers with Intel or an AMD setup.

I think the only thing that warrants it is aesthetics, really. There's practically no situation in which the extra couple of degrees are worth the money, not with SB's easy OCing and cool temperatures. Aesthetics are a valid reason to go water, though. You're right; it's like the Ferrari: you'll basically never get anything out of that engine except the knowledge that it can go fast, but it looks sweet.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'll argue that watercooling GPUs is a worthy cause over watercooling a CPU. When you consider stock coolers might let a card run at 70C or higher, you can almost count on a 30C drop in load temps with good watercooling.

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

I was watching a product head to head with the noctua and the silver arrow and basically they are the same performance. The silver arrow actually gave 1c better temps but not the biggest thing in the world there. Also the mounting system on the silver arrow is from what hear better. The center knob fastens and gives better contact vs noctua.

From what everyone here is saying its the noctua. Is it worth getting a noctua or already spend the extra to WC my system with a cpu and gpu loop? Would it be possible for around $200-250?

and thank you everyone for such quick replies

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Is it worth getting a noctua or already spend the extra to WC my system with a cpu and gpu loop? Would it be possible for around $200-250?

This is a decision only you can make. It all depends on what your priorities and expectations are. CPU load temps, you might see a small improvement- for GPU load temps, you'll see a significant improvement. However, you're going to want to start looking at budget kits in order to come in under $250.

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

As of kits your suggestions are something like the rx 240's, 360's or the EK systems?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The Rasa/Raystorm kits are in that price range, I don't believe the EK kits are, though.

I'm thinking a 360 kit would be where you'd want to start, or an RX240. Don't forget you also need a GPU block and fittings when you go this route.

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

Geez i forgot. GPU blocks are easily $80-150 for nvidia cards.

Yep, just depends on which review you read
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-silver-arrow_5.html#sect0

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

very true. Thanks guys. ill choose a best answer