runtime error....

I have a golf program that uses Quicktime.
This ran ok till I re-installed XP pro + sp2.
It now refuses to run with a 'runtime error 40038, application-defined or
object-defined fault'
Any clues as to where to start?
Rog
3 answers Last reply
More about runtime error

    You could start by reinstalling the program and/or the runtime add-on, Rog.
    There are some programs which are "broken" by the XP SP2 update, and you
    need to set them up again. Take a look here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2swhw and the information about "programs
    that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2." You should also
    check the game's website information to see if they've got an update
    available.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Rog" <rog@repairman.com> wrote in message
    >I have a golf program that uses Quicktime.
    > This ran ok till I re-installed XP pro + sp2.
    > It now refuses to run with a 'runtime error 40038, application-defined or
    > object-defined fault'
    > Any clues as to where to start?
    > Rog

    "Rog" <rog@repairman.com> wrote in message news:ePbcormXFHA.2684@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    |I have a golf program that uses Quicktime.
    | This ran ok till I re-installed XP pro + sp2.
    | It now refuses to run with a 'runtime error 40038, application-defined or
    | object-defined fault'
    | Any clues as to where to start?
    | Rog

    Hi Rog,

    Runtime errors are usually caused by software or driver issues.

    Maybe it's a program that you have running. Maybe it's the
    new device or driver that you installed on your system. If you
    recently installed printer drivers, chipset drivers(VIA especially),
    or a new video card this could be the cause of your problem.

    So, if you set your BIOS to 4X or 8X AGP recently or installed
    new software or hardware, that should be your very first suspect.

    1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
    programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
    blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.php

    2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
    Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
    Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

    3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
    / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
    the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

    4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
    Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Rog" <rog@repairman.com> wrote in message

    Thanks for the help, you've given me plenty to do :0)
    Rog

Quicktime Games Microsoft Runtime Windows XP