S5500

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 5, 2005 12:16:17 PM

Just recieved an Fujifilm S5500, and wondered if A: this is the right group
to ask this question and B: Ive noticed that the pictures seem to be quite a
bit blurrier than my previous, supposedly inferior S301. Anybody else come
across this?
Cheers
Stuart

More about : s5500

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:16:18 PM

stuart wrote:
> Just recieved an Fujifilm S5500, and wondered if A: this is the right
> group to ask this question and B: Ive noticed that the pictures seem
> to be quite a bit blurrier than my previous, supposedly inferior
> S301. Anybody else come across this?
> Cheers
> Stuart

A - for consideration in this group, broadly cameras should look like an
SLR, not have interchangeable lenses, and have full manual control of
aperture, shutter speed, and focus. I suspect you camera broadly meets
these criteria.

David
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:16:18 PM

"stuart" <member@smeigh.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D ff6e3$amc$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Just recieved an Fujifilm S5500, and wondered if A: this is the right
group
> to ask this question and B: Ive noticed that the pictures seem to be quite
> bit blurrier than my previous, supposedly inferior S301. Anybody else
come
> across this?

Haven't noticed myself. I got an S5500 a few months ago and am delighted
with it. I moved from a three year old low spec digital compact, so couldn't
comment on the difference between that and the S301. Have you tried setting
the sharpness to hard?

John
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 5, 2005 3:33:06 PM

"John Bailey" <koihoh@ihoih.com> wrote in message
news:D ffffq$5eu$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "stuart" <member@smeigh.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D ff6e3$amc$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Just recieved an Fujifilm S5500, and wondered if A: this is the right
> group
>> to ask this question and B: Ive noticed that the pictures seem to be
>> quite
>> bit blurrier than my previous, supposedly inferior S301. Anybody else
> come
>> across this?
>
> Haven't noticed myself. I got an S5500 a few months ago and am delighted
> with it. I moved from a three year old low spec digital compact, so
> couldn't
> comment on the difference between that and the S301. Have you tried
> setting
> the sharpness to hard?
>
> John

Thanks for the input - no, I havnt yet. I am basically pleased with the
camera, esp outside shots, but just surprised that I have to take a lot of
inside shots to make sure I get a couple of good ones.
stuart
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:33:07 PM

stuart wrote:
[]
> Thanks for the input - no, I havnt yet. I am basically pleased with
> the camera, esp outside shots, but just surprised that I have to take
> a lot of inside shots to make sure I get a couple of good ones.
> stuart

Any chance you are getting camera shake? A rule of thumb is that the
shutter should be faster than 1/focal-length, so with the maximum 370mm
focal length you would need a shutter speed faster than 1/370s, i.e.
1/500s or 1/1000s. Indoors this might need a lot of light, or use a
tripod. Even at the widest angle (37mm), you want shutter speeds of 1/50s
or faster.

(The reason I love image stabilisation is that it multiplies these times
by about 10, so a 370mm lens only needs a shutter speed of 1/37s. Makes
the camera more adaptable to lower light conditions).

David
September 5, 2005 9:06:21 PM

"stuart" <member@smeigh.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D ff6e3$amc$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Just recieved an Fujifilm S5500, and wondered if A: this is the right
> group to ask this question and B: Ive noticed that the pictures seem to be
> quite a bit blurrier than my previous, supposedly inferior S301. Anybody
> else come across this?
> Cheers
> Stuart
I have just sold the following kit because I had become disillusioned with
the sharpness of digital files over film.

Canon EOS 10D, Canon EOS 20D Canon 28 to 135 IS, Canon 70 to 300 IS and a
Canon 17 to40 L

Just so that I had something I got a S5500 and have been totally impressed
with the quality of the pictures taken, both sharpness and exposure are far
better than what I had got with either Canon body.
!