Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Build Storage? [HDD vs. SSD]

Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2013 12:29:54 AM

Lately I have been using my PC has a DVR for my dorm room. As such I have found HDD space can get used up WAY faster than I expected.

Currently I have:

-3.5" 1 TB 7200RPM, 64MB cache HDD

Used for OS, games, music, pictures, and everything else.

-2.5" 160 GB 5400 RPM old netbook HDD.

-2.5" 60GB 5400 RPM Launch PS3 HDD

These two 2.5" HDD's are used for my recorded shows and other videos. They are filling up fast!

This all is gonna come down to a fairly all incompasing question about what I should do, and how hard it will be to do it. I came across this HDD:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d [...] 0708191151

At these amazing prices, I am considering getting two of these for some impressive RAID 0. But I have many questions:

1.) How much faster than a standard 3.5", would this 10000 RPM 2.5" HDD be?

2.) In RAID 0, how much faster are two HDD's than one? (Load times, Boot times, app launching, etc...)

3.) Is RAID 0 reliable?

4.) How do I reliably transfer my stuff without a fresh install and reformat? I mean I want to basically set every thing up, and then do a massive Copy-And-Paste. (THIS LAST QUESTION IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME!!!)

5.) #4 is why SSD's just seem to expensive to me. I want to be able to copy a 500GB partition to an SSD so that it's easy and fast, but a 500GB SSD is just WAY to expensive. Should I still get an SSD as a boot drive, and then use 2 of those 10000 RPM drives?

6.) If I did get an SSD + two HDD's, how would I go about transferring my dozens of Games, Movies, Songs, Pictures, and files to these drives without incompatibility errors/bugs or redownloading EVERYTHING for days?

I understand I am asking a lot. But PLEASE, I have helped a lot of people on these forums and this is the last PC subject I am not Savvy in.
February 19, 2013 12:43:24 AM

2 HDD on RAID 0 is faster, but not safer. But then a SSD is a lot faster than your HDD in RAID 0. It is also faster than your 10000 RPM HDD.

It's recommended that you do a fresh Windows install if you are planning to move your OS to a SSD.

You want to use your SSD for your OS, then if possible all your programs and games, if not, then whatever application you run the most. Rest on your HDD.
m
l
February 19, 2013 1:03:44 AM

Solf said:
2 HDD on RAID 0 is faster, but not safer. But then a SSD is a lot faster than your HDD in RAID 0. It is also faster than your 10000 RPM HDD.

It's recommended that you do a fresh Windows install if you are planning to move your OS to a SSD.

You want to use your SSD for your OS, then if possible all your programs and games, if not, then whatever application you run the most. Rest on your HDD.

If you are knowledgeable on the subject, could you go a little more in depth and give me some numbers (Like percentage increases in performance and such). Also how much less reliable?
m
l
!