Gigabit Ethernet over cat 5e cable

adam-the-kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Hi all,

My problem is essentially that I'm unable to get a gigbit connection over one leg of my network, which is cat 5e cable run over about a 20m length - I can only get 100Mb. At one end is my Virgin Media (I'm in the UK) "SuperHub" (made for them by Netgear) at the other is a D-Link gigabit desktop network switch. No problems with gigabit over the short runs from the switch (and all my machines are equipped with gigE ports). I've tried putting a second D-Link gigabit switch on the Superhub end, but no difference.

Unfortunately, the run of cable was built into the walls when work was being done, so there is no easy way to check for RF interference - can anyone think of anything I could try to get a gigabit connection? There may be some excess cable floating around at either end, but it's unlikely to be more than a few metres. Clearly, the cable integrity itself is not compromised (it can run 100Mb, after all)...

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Adam...

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
if i remember right and it has been a wile so sorr if i am wrong

for 100mb you need 2pairs in the cable (seam to remember reading the other day about someone who was using one peace of cat5 for phone and internet)

for 1000mb you need 4pairs in the cable

so you could have some damage to part of the cable

you need to get a cable tester and test the calbe to find out

sorry prob not what you want to hear.

If you purchased the cable and put the ends on yourself, try re-ending the cable and make sure it's wired properly. Gigabit ethernet requires all 4 pairs to be wired properly. If you are certain the cable ends are correct, you either have a bad port on one of the devices it's plugged into, or you are getting RF interference. 20m isn't that long of a run.

TRENDING THREADS