Getting old programs working on new build

impboy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I've searched all over and can't seem to find a simple answer to my problem. Maybe there isn't one so hopefully someone in this community will say so if that's true.

I finally built a new computer using Windows 7. I bought a 128 GB SSD and loaded Win 7 onto it, and I'm using it as my boot drive. I took my old hard drives, both with XP on them, and installed them as storage. I can see everything on those two hard drives but many of the programs aren't working correctly, specifically I can't use the Outlook application file to access my email account. Also, I can't seem to access all my old bookmarks when I log into Firefox using the application file on my old hard drive. I'm assuming those will be the first of many access problems I'll have.

I don't want to load everything on to the SSD, just Windows 7 and a game. So how can I get these other programs to run correctly? Is there a simple way other than reloading them over, potentially losing valuable emails and such?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

impboy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I tried using Windows Live Mail. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize .pst files. I tried the Mailstore work around and that didn't work either since it seems you have to purchase the program to get access to the .pst files.

I'm still not able to load up my old favorites/bookmarks from Firefox either.

impboy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
It turned out the best thing to do was to not load Windows Live and instead do a fresh install of Outlook. I saved my email file from the old program, imported it in, and now all is working fine. As for all my other programs, a fresh install still turned out to be the best choice. A pain for sure, but still worth it.