Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wait for the HD 8000 and geforce 700 Series?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Next Generation
  • Geforce
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 2, 2013 4:01:51 PM

Should i wait for the next generation of GPUs or should i get a GTX 670 now?

More about : wait 8000 geforce 700 series

January 2, 2013 4:04:30 PM

Best policy for GPU upgrading is to stick with what you have until it can no longer play your desired games at the desired framerate/settings/resolution. Then you upgrade to a GPU that CAN play your desired games at the desired framerate/settings/resolution.

I'd say just apply that to your situation. There's always something better around the corner, and it's almost never worth worrying about. Upgrade when you need to.
January 2, 2013 4:09:42 PM

teunkoerts said:
Should i wait for the next generation of GPUs or should i get a GTX 670 now?


This is the same question I have. I've been noticing the prices on all AMD 7800 series and Nvidia gtx 600 series cards going up though unfortunately.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 4:11:40 PM

Remember also that new series of GPUs tend to have a worse performance per dollar than their predecessor for the first couple months. There have been exceptions to this. But, generally, you will find this to be true.
January 2, 2013 4:13:20 PM

BigMack70 said:
Best policy for GPU upgrading is to stick with what you have until it can no longer play your desired games at the desired framerate/settings/resolution. Then you upgrade to a GPU that CAN play your desired games at the desired framerate/settings/resolution.

I'd say just apply that to your situation. There's always something better around the corner, and it's almost never worth worrying about. Upgrade when you need to.


I have a GT 440, AMD Athlon 2 X3, 4 GB ram 1666mhz. I'm gonna get a new motherboard now a I5 3570K and a GTX 670. I can play games on the GTX 670 for a few years i think. I'm fine if i can play games on high.
January 2, 2013 4:24:21 PM

As others have said above, you can always wait for newer and better technology. But there's always something newer and greater just around the corner so you can wait forever while not being able to enjoy what you could have today. Its really personal preference as to when you want to pull the trigger on new stuff. Personally I tend to like to wait until the bugs get worked out and prices go down a bit rather than buying the cutting edge new stuff.

Your going to go from a pretty old system with a very basic GPU to powerful with a pretty high end GPU. I think you will be more than happy with that CPU and a GTX 670 for the forseeable future.
January 2, 2013 4:26:40 PM

Avenged7x said:
As others have said above, you can always wait for newer and better technology. But there's always something newer and greater just around the corner so you can wait forever while not being able to enjoy what you could have today. Its really personal preference as to when you want to pull the trigger on new stuff. Personally I tend to like to wait until the bugs get worked out and prices go down a bit rather than buying the cutting edge new stuff.

Your going to go from a pretty old system with a very basic GPU to powerful with a pretty high end GPU. I think you will be more than happy with that CPU and a GTX 670 for the forseeable future.


Okay, Thanks for your help :) 
January 2, 2013 5:00:19 PM

Two points to make:
Do you have to buy now? If yes, buy now. If no..
It's only about 3-4 months until next gen comes out. Other say "you can always wait and something better will come along but you never end up buying anything." True, but thats not the real issue. The question is "Buy the current gen now or the next gen in a few months." Not "How long do I wait to buy to make sure I get the best."

I chose to wait a few months and spend $300 to buy the next gen cards over spending $300 now on the current cards because the upgrade isn't critical now and I'm sure the next gen cards will be a worth while step up thus making them the better $300 purchase. Will better come out over the corse of the year, sure but I'm not waiting for that. My purchase will be when next gen becomes available.
a c 365 U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 5:26:24 PM

dennis555 said:
This is the same question I have. I've been noticing the prices on all AMD 7800 series and Nvidia gtx 600 series cards going up though unfortunately.



It might be due to the end of holiday sales and rebates.
January 2, 2013 5:59:42 PM

My own 2 cents:
Pragmatcially speaking: I just posted a thread on GPU's being future proof. My own intuition that a card like the 670 will get you a very long way. With the exception of a couple of games like Crysis 3, developers tendency to develop simultaneously for consoles and PC means that a card like the 670 will be more than powerful for quite some time. Even with new consoles coming to market this year, current gen GPU's are expected to be anywhere from 2-3 times more powerful. This means your average developer is not very likely to bring something to market that will make the 670 that much less attractive.

Geekily speaking: I find the idea of having the newest very attractive. If _I_ had that kind of patience and was willing to spend the money next gen cards typically fetch, I might wait to be able to play around with an 8000 or 700 series card.

Again, just my 2 cents and I myself would like to know what other people have to say.
January 2, 2013 6:11:31 PM

The GTX 670 is one of the best cards on the market right now, as I am sure you know (I prefer AMD, but that's beyond the point right now). I would say that you are probably better off taking the GTX 670 right now and planning for the inevitable 800 series in a couple years if you're really worried that the 670 won't last very long. Even then, you are probably better off dual or triple SLI the 670, when prices on each card has come down a little. Just my two cents.
January 2, 2013 6:12:48 PM

Well, it's a 670 so even if it's not the fastest 670 out there, it's still a 670. Probably a reference design so probably not the best cooling for overclocking if that matters to you. Thats a good price for a 670 but I'm still of the mind set it's better to spend the $300 in a few months on the new 7xx / 8xxx if a purchase now isn't critical.
January 2, 2013 6:30:53 PM

ibjeepr said:
Well, it's a 670 so even if it's not the fastest 670 out there, it's still a 670. Probably a reference design so probably not the best cooling for overclocking if that matters to you. Thats a good price for a 670 but I'm still of the mind set it's better to spend the $300 in a few months on the new 7xx / 8xxx if a purchase now isn't critical.


So the 7xx / 8xxx series cards are coming out in a few months??
a c 365 U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 7:24:56 PM

I think the HD 8000 series is rumored to come out mid-2013.

NVidia might be Fall 2013. Might...
January 2, 2013 7:30:49 PM

dennis555 said:
So the 7xx / 8xxx series cards are coming out in a few months??


Best estimates and past experience says they should be out 2nd quarter. I'm thinking April/May is a pretty good quess as they tend to come out in the earlier part of the year. In a thread I posted today asking for any updates there is no new news yet but others expected a similar time frame.

It really comes down to how far out you want to draw the line. As someone else mentioned. You'll probably keep the card for a couple years. With new cards being fairly close now (in my opinion) I think it's worth waiting a few months for the next gen to keep for two years than buying current gen to keep for 2 years. It's all how immidiate your need is and how far out you want to draw the line to wait though. Only you can make that call.

Edit: As Jaguarskx point out, I'm talking HD 8xxx mostly and NVidia will probably be a bit later than that.
January 2, 2013 7:38:30 PM

Is the 670 or 7970 a better choice?
January 2, 2013 7:44:36 PM

You going to get a hundred answers from fan boys each saying one or the other is better. The debate between NVidia and AMD never ends. Tom's ranking chart says they are about equal. Just look at the Tom's article for Best GPU 2012 and go the the chart at the end. I'm sure you'll be safe with either. In a different thread someone linked a 670 for $299 after rebate. That looked tempting. PNY reference card design but still a 670.
January 2, 2013 7:48:24 PM

The 670 and 7970 are very close, you're not going to go wrong with either. Some games favor the 670 and some the 7970. 7970 will be better for higher resolutions (1440p and higher) and is the better overclocker, but neither of those things apply to some people. You're probably OK just getting whatever is cheaper.
January 2, 2013 7:50:12 PM

ibjeepr said:
You going to get a hundred answers from fan boys each saying one or the other is better. The debate between NVidia and AMD never ends. Tom's ranking chart says they are about equal. Just look at the Tom's article for Best GPU 2012 and go the the chart at the end. I'm sure you'll be safe with either. In a different thread someone linked a 670 for $299 after rebate. That looked tempting. PNY reference card design but still a 670.


That would be me :D  . Should I get it or should I not? The only thing that's shady about it is whether it actually comes with BL2 and assassins creed 3 or not.
January 2, 2013 8:03:39 PM

Well I made my decision not to so that would have to be my advise to you.
I gave you my reasoning for why I'm waiting. My HD 5870 is running BL2 maxed at 1920x1080 so I have no problem waiting.
If you've decided not to wait then I'd say that it looks like a good deal but I'm not familiar with PNY's video card quality or the website you found it on. Can't help you there.
!