Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Road trip to MicroCenter need advice on build

Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2013 6:45:16 AM

Hey guys,

Going to MC this weekend and taking some friends so we can save a few bucks on mobo and processor there.

Could use some help with picking out a mobo out of the ones that are bundled and on sale.

Getting an i5 3570k and they have several mobo's you save additional 50 on when buying the cpu.

Link to the ad

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/90ee8a78#/90ee8a78/...

I was thinking about getting the asus p8z77-v lk but have read some bad things about asus lately.

The others one they have listed are:

Gigabyte z77 ds3h'
asrock pro4
asrock extreme 4

I don't need anything to expensive just would like the usb 3.0 sata 6.0 and will be pairing it with a 7950.

Which bring me to my next question does anyone have a suggestion for which brand 7950 to buy? I run a 7870 right now but am probably going to give this rig to my wife when I get this new one.

Thanks for the help
February 19, 2013 1:04:51 PM

asrock extreme 4 because of its popularity :) 

7950 i vote sapphire for OC potential, but if you are on budget, get anything cheap
m
l

Best solution

February 19, 2013 3:05:33 PM

+1 on the Extreme4, best motherboard in terms of quality and features in that price range.

Since you're going to Microcenter anyway, they're currently offering Gigabyte and MSI 7950s, both of which have great coolers - Windforce x3 and Twin Frozr III, respectively.

They are both reasonably priced as well, especially after rebates, you can't really go wrong with either. Though if I were to choose, Gigabyte would be a no-brainer.

If you're ordering online and you don't want the hassle of rebates, get this.
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=GA-795WF3G&c=C...
Related resources
February 19, 2013 3:31:30 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I will go with that .

Another thing to add could you guys recommend a good modular power supply. I already have a extra haf 912 I am going to use and wouldn't mind trying out modular supply for a more tidy case.

A 600w should suffice any brand names or models would be helpful.

Thanks for the replies so far.
m
l
February 19, 2013 3:33:13 PM

Really like my Extreme4.
m
l
February 19, 2013 3:37:33 PM

Ι would go for FX 8320 and Asrock 970 Extreme4

Differences in gaming perfomance are not noticeable and they favor either CPU depending on the game. Plus with AMD you'll be upgrade able for atleast one generation of CPUs and you'll have room for a better GPU

As for GPU I wouldn't buy a 7950. I would either go with 7870 tahity le which is cheaper and only 3% less powerful than 7950. Else I would go straight for 7970
m
l
February 19, 2013 3:58:00 PM

Do your homework.

Buy the cheap stuff at MC.

Buy the cheaper stuff elsewhere.

I'd snag a second HD7870 (with an AM3+ 990FX if you buy the FX8350) and snag a Trinity APU for the wife.

Edit:

I'd snag a nice 990FX, too ... the Gigabyte -UD5 or Asus Sabertooth

m
l
February 19, 2013 4:00:24 PM

Wisecracker said:
Do your homework.

Buy the cheap stuff at MC.

Buy the cheaper stuff elsewhere.

I'd snag a second HD7870 (with an AM3+ 990FX if you buy the FX8350) and snag a Trinity APU for the wife.

Edit:

I'd snag a nice 990FX, too ... the Gigabyte -UD5 or Asus Sabertooth

What a nice option! No need for the UD5 or Sabertooth though...990FX-UD3 is more than enough even for the end user!
m
l
February 19, 2013 4:25:29 PM

rastie said:
Thanks for the replies so far. I think I will go with that .

Another thing to add could you guys recommend a good modular power supply. I already have a extra haf 912 I am going to use and wouldn't mind trying out modular supply for a more tidy case.

A 600w should suffice any brand names or models would be helpful.

Thanks for the replies so far.

500-550w would be plenty for singlu GPU systems.

Again, still assuming you want to buy from MC.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/383860/High_Current_...

If you're ordering online,
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PSM12II520&c=C...

The 7870 Tahiti LE is a great value card, but the 7950 has better OC performance as well as better temps so you can get the most of your GPU.
m
l
February 19, 2013 4:45:25 PM

Stick with the i5! And avoid that mobo. I went through 3 of them till I found 1 that worked :/ 

+1 on the extreme 4. I wish I would have gotten that MOBO instead.
m
l
February 19, 2013 9:42:55 PM

Thanks for the the replies guys. I am gonna stick with the i5 and get the extreme 4.

Also I think I will go ahead and get the 7950 if I can find a decent deal on it but probably won't buy at MC. Mostly just wanted to get my cpu/mobo there because of pretty significant saving. Especially factoring in that there are 4 of us driving there. Not a huge drive just about 2 hrs.

You think there is anything else worth getting at MC?

I already got the haf 912 for case.

Getting a modular power supply will research more but excella had a good suggestion.

You think ram is worth picking up there? Was going to go ahead and grab 16gb for it. I heard they price match the egg and other places anyways so I will pick up everything I can. If prices can be matched.

I really appreciate all the input. And sorry to you guys with the AMD suggestions I appreciate your feedback I have just been really happy with my current I5 for gaming.
m
l
February 19, 2013 11:18:17 PM

Best answer selected by rastie.
m
l
!