Promise PCI Latency Problem

G

When I run the Sisoft Sandra Tune-Up module I am getting a warning that the PCI Latency of the Promise raid card and my network card are too high. I thought Sandra was probably just misreporting, but my internet connection gets messed up occasionally and I have too reboot for it to start working again, so I believe there is a real issue here. Any ideas on how to fix? My guess is that the raid card is overloading the PCI bus.

Current config
=======================
Shuttle AK31v3.1 motherboard
AMD 1700+ (no overclocking)
Win XP Pro
Promise Fast Trak 100 TX2 raid card
Two IBM GXP 40G drives (raid 0, 64k blocks)
GeForce 2 GTS AGP 4.x 32MB video card
D-Link 10/100 DFE-530TX+ network card
Linksys 10/100 4-port router w/ cable modem

What I have tried so far?
=========================
1) Pulling all PCI cards except video and Raid controller -> Sandra still showed latency too high
2) Slowed hardware acceleration of video card and raid card -> Sandra still showed latency error.
3) Updated all drivers/bios -> no change
4) Applied Georges PCI latency fix for via chipsets -> no change
5) Slowed video card down to 1x AGP -> no change
6) Slowed network card down to 10Mbps (from 100Mbps) -> no change
7) etc... etc... etc...

Running out of ideas. If I don't get this resolved soon, I may pull the raid card altogether, but I really want to keep it for A/V editing. On a side note, the raid performance gets really poor as I use it due to fragmentation, but this is another discussion for another day...

Do you have a setting in your BIOS for changing your PCI latency timing?

If your PCI cards control the PCI bus for too long, the CPU gets less chance to control it. A longer latency allows the CPU to get a better chance. Increase the value against this setting. Never use zero for this setting.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

G

Think I found the issue...

http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/3280/2/

TRENDING THREADS