My first build, please advise!

Coolermaster Stryker case
850W Silverstone ST85F-G Evolution 2
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI Dual Thunderbolt 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
16gb (2x8gb) Corsair Vengeance DD3 1600 Memory
Crucial 128gb msata sata (mounted on motherboard)
Seagate 3TB Barracuda Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA-III - 7200RPM 64MB Cache
OCZ Vector VTR125 128GB Solid State Drive
SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
NZXT Sentry 2 TouchScreen Fan-Controller
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64bit
2 x Alienware AW2210 22" WIDESCREEN LCD TFT

This is my first ever build so I'm asking your advice on rating plus also potential any possible hardware/software conflicts. I'm thinking my monitors won't connect by thunderbolt but that's fine. Any help appreciated!
8 answers Last reply
More about build advise
  1. I'm not going to install the nzxt sentry 2 btw
  2. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice please do this first its easier to know what exectly you wish
  3. also if you play fps go with 3 monitors solution not 2,because if you choose 2 your aim crosshair would stuck at middle of border of 2 monitors lol:-) i learned on hard way years ago :fou:
  4. Embossa said:
    I'm not going to install the nzxt sentry 2 btw


    Then why waste money on it? :heink:

    Don't buy things you're not going to need or use, and don't include accessories in your budget.

    As far as the original build goes - you don't need the flash drive. You don't need the mSATA card, and if you're gaming the i7 will not be fully utilized. I think I would drop the whole build and go with something like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($157.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($147.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($144.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($155.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1530.73
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-19 12:33 EST-0500)

    Then add whatever monitors and keyboard / mouse you want.
  5. Thanks for the info guys, sorry I should have made clear that I'm in the final stages of wiring up the build and have discovered this great forum as part of searching for help whilst on my first build so was unaware of any prerequisite requests for info.
    Never thought of the crosshair situation da3ndorphin3 but its a good point well taken.

    G unit - I bought the nzxt sentry 2 when compiling my shopping basket but forget the coolermaster stryker case had built in fan controls already and having looked into more detail with it and potential noise issues with led fans decided against it.
    I'm installing os from USB flash as I'm choosing not to include an optical drive.
    Thanks for the great info guys,I appreciate your advice.
  6. Embossa said:
    Thanks for the info guys, sorry I should have made clear that I'm in the final stages of wiring up the build and have discovered this great forum as part of searching for help whilst on my first build so was unaware of any prerequisite requests for info.
    Never thought of the crosshair situation da3ndorphin3 but its a good point well taken.

    G unit - I bought the nzxt sentry 2 when compiling my shopping basket but forget the coolermaster stryker case had built in fan controls already and having looked into more detail with it and potential noise issues with led fans decided against it.
    I'm installing os from USB flash as I'm choosing not to include an optical drive.
    Thanks for the great info guys,I appreciate your advice.


    OK that makes sense. Why not just buy an optical drive though? You can get them for really cheap right now and it would probably be easier than installing Windows from flash.
  7. g-unit1111 said:
    OK that makes sense. Why not just buy an optical drive though? You can get them for really cheap right now and it would probably be easier than installing Windows from flash.


    I'm thinking along the lines of what you said earlier about buying things I don't need. Apart from initial setup I think looking ahead its simply something I won't need. I'm not into burning DVD 's etc and think most data is available online as a download. I've had a computer for the last 20 years and seen the gradual decline of them, the only disc I've used in the last 5 years was a hard copy of football manager 2011. Football manager 2013 was purchased through steam ;)
  8. Embossa said:
    I'm thinking along the lines of what you said earlier about buying things I don't need. Apart from initial setup I think looking ahead its simply something I won't need. I'm not into burning DVD 's etc and think most data is available online as a download. I've had a computer for the last 20 years and seen the gradual decline of them, the only disc I've used in the last 5 years was a hard copy of football manager 2011. Football manager 2013 was purchased through steam ;)


    True true. I've been saying that optical is the new floppy for a while now and it's only a matter of time before it permanently goes away. :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product