Your question

New GTX 680 problems/questions

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2013 5:20:53 PM

Hey guys,

So, my new GTX 680 arrived today. I went with the Gigabyte OC Windforce version (this one) and installed it.

It doesn't come with a VGA - DVI converter, which is a bummer, so only one monitor working at the moment....

However, when I boot up my computer I get a "CPU fan error" message, press F1 to continue. Not sure what that's about?

I also ran 3DMark Vantage before and after my new card.

Here's my old spec:

Case
ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5770 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Hard Disk
640GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD6402AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU

3DMark Vantage gave this spec P116266. Graphics 10229, CPU 19696. AI test 2742 and Physics Test 25.

My new spec is the same as the old one except for the graphics card, which is -5770 and +GTX 680. 3DMark Vantage gave this spec P25239. Graphics 31616, CPU 15724. AI test 2238, physics test 19.

Yay for graphics win. That was kinda the point. Bit confused though as to why this should show a reduction in CPU score (as this hasn't changed)? AI test and physics test are CPU based, and both have gone down.

Final point is that this is the "OC" version of this card. I am a complete noob when it comes to OCing, but I was a bit puzzled when 3DMark Vantage said that the core clock speed is 705MHz. This is slower than the 5770. A bit of googling shows that this figure (705MHz) is stock for the 680. So, what's with that then? Is it not OC'd out of the bag, and if not then how do I do that? Why would I do that? Is it a good idea, or just a way to set fire to the inner workings of your case? Advice needed here, me thinks :) 

TL;dr:

1) CPU Fan error message. WTF?

2) CPU 3DMark Vantage results lower when only graphics card has changed. WTF?

3) 705MHz clock speed on an OC card. WTF?

Cheers :) 

A.

More about : gtx 680 problems questions

a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 5:36:16 PM

Dont know about 1 or 2...weird that.

But for 3: That is the "underclocked" speed when the card is idle. It cranks up when it needs the juice. When you overclock the card, you are just increasing the max frequency. This is part of the reason the 600 series cards are so power efficient. This confused everyone when the 680's first came out (myself very much included). So, nothing to worry about there! :)  (unless of course the frequency when under load is not higher than stock, then you may need to manually overclock or rma your card)
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2013 7:13:19 PM

check to see if by chance you might have somehow cause the cpu fan any damage while changing your card.
many a times cpu starts underperforming due to cooler malfunction in order to avoid getting damaged due to overheating.

for that gpu part I agree to what @senkasaw says.
January 3, 2013 6:54:20 AM

Well, the CPU fan isn't complaining anymore. Didn't change anything. All fixed. Um...good. I think.

Thanks for your help guys :) 
!