First Time Builder Needing Help On GPU Decision

theeejohnnyv

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2012
I'm a first time builder with little knowledge of computers but I'm trying to learn through this site and the forums.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as I find all the parts for my build, I will purchase

BUDGET RANGE: Overall PC range is $800 max after rebates and I'm currently at $454.99 w/ an i7 3770K CPU & ASUS P8Z77-V LX Mobo or i5 3570K w/ same Mobo which is $344.99. I have to figure out which I can afford after both builds so PRICE RANGE - CHEAPEEST IS BETTER!!!

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Recording gameplay in HD from my Xbox360 (video&sound), video editing programs and music producing programs, gameplay like (The War Z, Day Z Standalone preferably at MAX but even mid to low is fine for price) eventually I'll want to play ARMA 3 at MAX, and also just everyday computing and blu ray watching

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Obviously I dont have GPU yet since this is my first build and I have not gotten to my power supply unit yet

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Like I said earlier I'm either going to run an i7-3770k or i5-3570k CPU with P8Z77-V LX depending on finishing build total price. I have not picked out ram yet but open to any options from more knowledged readers. I was thinking at least 8GB prefer 16GB

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: tigerdirect.com uses BillMeLater and my max is $800 so trying to get a new computer through that so prefer parts on there or any other sites that use BillMeLater

PARTS PREFERENCES: Don't really have any due to my lack of knowledge with GPU's. If there's a forum on here you guys know of direct me to it and I'll :)

OVERCLOCKING: I would like to eventually once I learn more on how to do it but for now it's not a priority to have

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I only have my 19" HD TV right now which runs at 720p and 1080i. My buddy gave it to me for free but doesnt have any specs on it :/

I appreciate any help you guys can give. Someone on here told me for the i5 build a 660ti would be good so I'll see if you guys agree. I know this is a lot so thank you in advance but if you guys could include which RAM I should get with the card that would really help too!

EzioAs

Distinguished
AMD Radeon HD7870. Great card for the price. See newegg or other retailers for specific models though.

Depending on how much you want to spend, here are the order you should look for in terms of price and performance from more expensive and better performance to cheaper and lower performance

AMD HD7870>Nvidia GTX660>AMD HD7850