First Gaming Build (Mid-Range < $600) (Advice on PSU)

pguerrerox

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: This month (some parts ordered).

Budget Range: < $600 w/o shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, SolidWorks, Surfing the internet, Watching Movies

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.com (cant buy from newegg.com cuz I live out of US)

Parts Preferences: I would like Intel base.

Overclocking: No.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.

This is the first PC build and assemble by me, I have owned few PC's in the pass but they were purchased assembled, I want it to play some games @ 1080P res and do some works on SolidWorks, the usual web browsing and PC stuff. As stated above the budget is less than $600, some parts are already ordered ( they are mark in the part list).
Since this is my first full build Im starting low, I added some challenge by making it a mini-ITX, I have been watching some vids and guides around and the parts I have choose are listed below:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon) (Ordered on Ebay for $100, bundled)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon) (Ordered on Ebay for $90, bundled)
Memory: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.74 @ Amazon) (Ordered on Ebay for $0, bundled)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.79 @ Amazon) (Getting this on a Local Store)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon) (Ordered on Ebay for $206)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120(Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($46.24 @ Amazon) (Ordered on Ebay for $30, bundled)
Power Supply: (NEED HELP HERE, good quality PSU for i3-3220+HD 7870)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer ($22.75 @ Amazon) (Getting this on a Local Store)
Total: $656.53(Original estimated) ($500.54, expended so far)
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-19 08:46 EST-0500)

These are the parts, as you can see I need advise on the PSU.
I have $100 on budget for this part.

Notes:
- I have read that the i3 is good for gaming, and with HT is good for normal PC stuff, and is cheap (If i encounter problems with some games or apps I may upgrade in the future for a i5).

- Radeon HD 7870 is recommended here in Toms "Best Graphics for the Money Jan. 2013" and there are lots of vids around demonstrating is a good card. (I read that a 7850 can be OC to match this but I dont like to OC)

- The case have space to fit the biggest cards in the market and is said to have good air flow even thou in the vids I have watched the space between the PSU and the CPU-Cooler is tiny.. lets see if this will be a problem. Case already ordered**

- In the near future my upgrade list is this (order for priority):
*SSD (recommend me some good ones, please)
*i5 (only if I have problems with i3)
*Bluray drive (to watch connect my TV and watch BR movies)

Thats it...

Thanks for the help in advance.

aebome

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I realize I am throwing my hat in the ring late here, but I just wanted to offer my two cents on the PSU issue. Rosewill's newer PSU's are actually pretty good to very good, but I don't know that I would trust that Green Series, which is older.

I would instead use one of the Corsair builder series, like this 500w modular unit (also has 430W modular option too).
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Modular-Bronze-CX500M/dp/B00ALK3HF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361299908&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+cx500m

In that mini-ITX case, modular cabling on your PSU would be a big plus, and its only $15 more than your current choice, still leaving you within budget.

pguerrerox

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

thanks for the suggestion,, i was about to order the rosewill.... i like the modular design.
i guess i will look for reviews on both PSUs to decide on one tonight.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
The current Rosewill Green being released is a newer revision. The old one you're referring to had the stupid multiple rail stuff, this new one has a strong single +12v rail.

I've already explained on another thread why the CX series isn't good, though everything else from Corsair is fantastic.

And yes, a modular PSU would be nice.