Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nokia 6310i with firmware v7

Tags:
  • Nokia
  • Firmware
Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 5:58:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Does anyone know if there is an option to format phone numbers in the North
American style on the phone ? NNN NNN NNNN, as opposed to NNNNNNNNNN as
they all read now.

I am in Canada and my latest firmware upgrade to V7 I think has never been
officially released in North America - making it hard to read numbers! I
know European numbers are different in format and suspect this fimware
assumes a European number by default.

Thanks.

More about : nokia 6310i firmware

May 30, 2005 6:37:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:58:06 -0400, "Clark Kent" <not4fun@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know if there is an option to format phone numbers in the North
>American style on the phone ? NNN NNN NNNN, as opposed to NNNNNNNNNN as
>they all read now.
>
>I am in Canada and my latest firmware upgrade to V7 I think has never been
>officially released in North America - making it hard to read numbers! I
>know European numbers are different in format and suspect this fimware
>assumes a European number by default.

How could it? The 6310i is a "world" phone so there's no one parsing
of numbers. How could there be since the NANP is 3+3+7 it's only that
way in the NANP. How could a phone possibly adjust for all the
different parsing of numbers world-wide? If you want a phone that
parses 3+3+7 get a North America only phone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:55:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Clark Kent" <not4fun@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:6oWdnYTjqbCwyQbfRVn-jw@rogers.com...
> Does anyone know if there is an option to format phone numbers in the
> North American style on the phone ? NNN NNN NNNN, as opposed to
> NNNNNNNNNN as they all read now.
>
> I am in Canada and my latest firmware upgrade to V7 I think has never
> been officially released in North America - making it hard to read
> numbers! I know European numbers are different in format and suspect
> this fimware assumes a European number by default.

I don't understand what you mean..? How you format a number on paper
doesn't affect how you dial it, does it..?

Ivor
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:55:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On 30 May 2005, Ivor Jones wrote

>
> "Clark Kent" <not4fun@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:6oWdnYTjqbCwyQbfRVn-jw@rogers.com...
>> Does anyone know if there is an option to format phone numbers in
>> the North American style on the phone ? NNN NNN NNNN, as opposed
>> to NNNNNNNNNN as they all read now.
>>
>> I am in Canada and my latest firmware upgrade to V7 I think has
>> never been officially released in North America - making it hard
>> to read numbers! I know European numbers are different in format
>> and suspect this fimware assumes a European number by default.
>
> I don't understand what you mean..? How you format a number on
> paper doesn't affect how you dial it, does it..?

I think he wants the phone *display* to show the number as one would
write it down on paper -- with spaces -- rather than as an unbroken
string of digits.

(I can sympathise with him: I'd like the option for my phone to
display "+44 20 7123 4567" instead of "+442071234567", and have it
ignore the spaces when it dials.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:55:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

My old firmware was 4.20 (I think).

Under the old firmware when I entered a number 1234567890
it would display as follow
123
456 7890

The area code would move up to its own line and then the number would show
up below, with a space inserted properly. It would format for NA numbering
somehow.

With the new firmware (v7), this does not happen anymore and I really miss
it.

I was polling to collective to see if there was an undocumented menu to
enable this <feature>....

Thanks anyhow.


"Harvey Van Sickle" <harvey.news@ntlworld.com> wrote in message > (I can
sympathise with him: I'd like the option for my phone to
> display "+44 20 7123 4567" instead of "+442071234567", and have it
> ignore the spaces when it dials.)
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:52:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Harvey Van Sickle" <harvey.news@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9666D6CD9AF01whhvans@62.253.162.205...
> On 30 May 2005, Ivor Jones wrote
>
>>
>> "Clark Kent" <not4fun@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:6oWdnYTjqbCwyQbfRVn-jw@rogers.com...
>>> Does anyone know if there is an option to format phone numbers in
>>> the North American style on the phone ? NNN NNN NNNN, as opposed
>>> to NNNNNNNNNN as they all read now.
>>>
>>> I am in Canada and my latest firmware upgrade to V7 I think has
>>> never been officially released in North America - making it hard
>>> to read numbers! I know European numbers are different in format
>>> and suspect this fimware assumes a European number by default.
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean..? How you format a number on
>> paper doesn't affect how you dial it, does it..?
>
> I think he wants the phone *display* to show the number as one would
> write it down on paper -- with spaces -- rather than as an unbroken
> string of digits.
>
> (I can sympathise with him: I'd like the option for my phone to
> display "+44 20 7123 4567" instead of "+442071234567", and have it
> ignore the spaces when it dials.)

Hmm, yes I see. Personally it's never bothered me, but I don't know of a
phone that does allow it. Of course there's every chance I'm wrong..!

Ivor
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:52:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On 30 May 2005, Ivor Jones wrote
> "Harvey Van Sickle" <harvey.news@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9666D6CD9AF01whhvans@62.253.162.205...
>> On 30 May 2005, Ivor Jones wrote
>>> "Clark Kent" <not4fun@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> news:6oWdnYTjqbCwyQbfRVn-jw@rogers.com...

>>>> Does anyone know if there is an option to format phone numbers
>>>> in the North American style on the phone ? NNN NNN NNNN, as
>>>> opposed to NNNNNNNNNN as they all read now.
>>>>
>>>> I am in Canada and my latest firmware upgrade to V7 I think has
>>>> never been officially released in North America - making it
>>>> hard to read numbers! I know European numbers are different in
>>>> format and suspect this fimware assumes a European number by
>>>> default.
>>>
>>> I don't understand what you mean..? How you format a number on
>>> paper doesn't affect how you dial it, does it..?
>>
>> I think he wants the phone *display* to show the number as one
>> would write it down on paper -- with spaces -- rather than as an
>> unbroken string of digits.
>>
>> (I can sympathise with him: I'd like the option for my phone to
>> display "+44 20 7123 4567" instead of "+442071234567", and have
>> it ignore the spaces when it dials.)
>
> Hmm, yes I see. Personally it's never bothered me, but I don't
> know of a phone that does allow it. Of course there's every chance
> I'm wrong..!

I've never seen this either, but what's curious is that the OP's
question makes it sound as if his old firmware did allow it.

Maybe someone will tell us if NAmer mobiles (sorry: cellphones over
there!) display "123 456 7890"?


--
Cheers,
Harvey
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:45:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Harvey Van Sickle" <harvey.news@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9666E32B4805Fwhhvans@62.253.162.203...
> On 30 May 2005, Ivor Jones wrote

[snip]

>> Hmm, yes I see. Personally it's never bothered me, but I don't
>> know of a phone that does allow it. Of course there's every chance
>> I'm wrong..!
>
> I've never seen this either, but what's curious is that the OP's
> question makes it sound as if his old firmware did allow it.

As he says he's using a 6310i which is primarily a European phone, and I
also have several of these (in the UK), I don't think so. It doesn't here,
anyway.

> Maybe someone will tell us if NAmer mobiles (sorry: cellphones over
> there!) display "123 456 7890"?

None that I've ever seen, but again I could be wrong.

Ivor
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:45:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On 30 May 2005, Ivor Jones wrote

>
> "Harvey Van Sickle" <harvey.news@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9666E32B4805Fwhhvans@62.253.162.203...
>> On 30 May 2005, Ivor Jones wrote
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Hmm, yes I see. Personally it's never bothered me, but I don't
>>> know of a phone that does allow it. Of course there's every
>>> chance I'm wrong..!
>>
>> I've never seen this either, but what's curious is that the OP's
>> question makes it sound as if his old firmware did allow it.
>
> As he says he's using a 6310i which is primarily a European phone,
> and I also have several of these (in the UK), I don't think so. It
> doesn't here, anyway.

Oh, agreed entirely -- my 6310i firmware (UK phone)) is 5.x something,
and it only does strings of numbers. (I thought maybe other NAmer-only
phones might allow formatting; dunno.)

>> Maybe someone will tell us if NAmer mobiles (sorry: cellphones
>> over there!) display "123 456 7890"?
>
> None that I've ever seen, but again I could be wrong.

Me too; it's not something I've ever thought about before.

FWIW (very little), I figure that whilst spaces are problematical, it
wouldn't be incredibly difficult to program so that dashes or
something in the display -- +44-20-7123-4567 -- were ignored when
dialling.

Hardly a killer feature for a phone, though....

--
Cheers,
Harvey
!